Chapter One

Eternal

Elena POV

I had to find him, I needed him here with me. He makes me whole and he helps me be who I am every day. As Damon drove towards his car through the streets of Chicago, my mind wandered towards what would happen if we didn't find him. All that Damon told me is that he found out from an old acquaintance that Klaus and Stefan were going to be at a bar that he and Stefan used to go to back in the 20's.

"We will find him, don't worry Elena. We will bring him home." Damon said, as if he knew what I was thinking.

"I know we will eventually, I just wish he knew." I said, rubbing my stomach absentmindedly.

Flashback

It had been seven weeks since Stefan left. Seven weeks since he had cured Damon and left town with Klaus. Seven weeks since he had left me and everyone else behind to begin his existence of torture alongside Klaus.

I was sitting in Stefan's room one Thursday morning when I heard Caroline shouting my name as she came through the front door.

"Elena!" Caroline screeched as she sped at vampire speed through the house, up the stairs and into the room.

"Hey, Care." I mumbled, still buried under the sheets.

"Elena! What are you doing, you should be at school?" Caroline huffed, getting on the huge bed beside me.

"Caroline, I'm not feeling well. I haven't felt well for a few days actually. And before you ask, it isn't Stefan. I'm missing him like crazy but this is different. I've just been feeling sick it's okay through I'll be okay in a few days. You can go back to school if you like." I told her.

"No, it's okay. We had Alaric this afternoon and he knows the secret so I doubt he'd ask questions and create a situation that could potentially raise suspicion." Caroline said, taking off her shoes and jacket before getting in the sheets.

"What do you think it is? Do you think it's something you've eaten or...?" She trailed off.

"Or what?" I questioned, sitting up in the bed.

"No, it's okay forget I said anything. It's impossible." She muttered, lowering her gaze.

"You think I'm pregnant? That isn't possible? Is it? I thought vampires couldn't procreate?" I screeched, glad that Damon had gone into town to meet the sheriff.

"No forget I said anything, like I said it's impossible." Care whispered.

I looked at the calendar on my wall and reached over to grab my phone from the beside cabinet. I began to count back the days on my fingers and when I looked up at Caroline she was looking at me expectantly.

"Well?" She questioned.

"I'm actually late, Caroline this is impossible. I didn't even realise I've been so stressed out recently" I said, burying my face in my hands.

"Well, how about this. I'll go into town and buy a test for you and if it's positive we can go to the hospital this afternoon before Jeremy comes home from school?" Caroline wondered, getting out of bed and reaching for her jacket and shoes.

I nodded and Caroline took off out of the house. I vaguely heard her car door slamming before I fell back asleep.

When I woke up, Caroline was sitting on the bed beside me, scrolling through something on her phone.