5. Harboring Criminals

Jessica's POV

"I'm sorry I wasn't there to pick you up. I was a little preoccupied."

"It's no big deal. I just walked home. Did you at least tell mom and dad where you went?"

"Yeah. Of course, I did. I do not wish to die."

"That can go for one of us then."

"Gabby, You know you can talk to me, right?"

"Yeah, but I just generally don't want to."

I sigh.

"We should probably head back home now."

"Yeah, I suppose you're right."

Both Gabby and I walked into the living room and sat down on the couch. Mom was in the dining room, and dad was in the office. We turned on the TV, and I wanted to watch the news. I mean Gabby did too, so we watched the story together. I mean, we do this every night, so yeah. Force of habit, I guess.

"Please contact your authorities if you even see any of these four men. They are extremely dangerous. They are wanted for murder and drug dealing went wrong. Meth labs and many other things, including identity theft."

I wanted to know who was wanted for so many things. I tried to understand why Patrick is here in Chicago after so many years. Both of these connect, but it doesn't make sense to me. This all happened just at the same time as Patrick and Mason show up. Does anyone else think that this is fishy?

"The four men are named Patrick Harper, Mason Jones, Chad Wilson, and Charles Kentucky."

Holy mother load. Shit is another way to put it. I need to pick a better variety of friends. No more gang members or anything like that. Also, better guys to be making out with.

"Girls. Can you come here, please."

"Coming."

We walked into the dining room where our parents stood talking to the guy from Patrick's hideout. Does that mean he is wanted too? Oh my gosh, my life just officially turned upside down. I honestly have no idea what to do with the information that I have. How come Patrick never told me any of this? Is this why he left the city?

"Girls, meet Bella and Jeff." My mom said, which got my attention from the downhill spiral I am heading to.

Bella was a cute girl around the age of five. She has blonde curly hair that stops below her shoulders. She has on a cute outfit with a pale pink skirt and a shirt that reads pow! She also has on a pair of cowgirl boots. It's sweet, actually.

Jeff was a taller guy version of Bella. Well, he has different eyes, but oh well. They were that close. I think they are siblings. He had dirty blond hair that stopped just above his eyes. He kept moving them out of the way. He was wearing many layers of clothing. Maybe he is cold. I don't know.

My mom asked Gabby and me to give them a full tour of the house. I rolled my eyes mostly because I could care less about giving them a tour. Why are they even here?

"Jess. Come here. Let's chat a little."

Why is he trying to talk to me? Am I in trouble with this guy? Am I going to die? I have no idea what is going to happen to me.

"Okay."

My parents left the room and went to give the tour to the kids with Gabby. I'm left alone with the guy.

"I'm Chad Wilson. My dad is the actual social worker, but he got sick. He let me go for him. I mean, we do have similar names, so it isn't that hard to pull off."