Chapter One - To love and to sacrifice and to promises unbroken

Alrighty, guys; so, I am taking a brief hiatus from Lilliana Snape and starting anew.

This is another Snape's daughter piece, there are obvious differences but the story line will almost follow Lilly's.

I want to continue her story but I want to start fresh with a different character. I know it sounds pointless but, this way, I can remould my character and try to keep a better note of timelines and stuff.

This is NOT me re-writing Lilliana Snape.

Anyways, Snape is going to be a little different. I like to think that, because of certain circumstances, he won't be quite as bitter as he is in the originals. I will however try to keep his public attitude different to his private attitude (he'll be a bastard to anyone but Primrose)

Let's just see how this works. I'm terrible at explaining myself. Haha.

Please let me know what you think, your comments and support are ALWAYS appreciated.

Happy reading.

Benny 

x

~*~

Severus Snape stood alone in his firelit sitting room, staring at a note that was sitting upon the mantel of his fireplace.

'Remember your vow.'

That's what the note said.

It was almost a year, to the day, that he'd last seen the owner of that writing and he kept it, carefully protected, to remind him should he ever forget.

'I would ask you to raise her as if she was your own' the memory in his head replayed 'but I won't ask that; Severus, raise her better than you would raise your own flesh and blood.'

'I love you, Severus, I always have but, please, give her happiness and light and life; don't subject her to the darkness that you seem to enjoy. Raise her to be better and stronger, raise her to know what it's like to be loved.'

'And, when it's time, you must introduce them; they must know each other'

'I never wanted to split them up but it must be done before he finds out about her. Tell people that she's ours, you have my permission to do that; anyone who counts will know the truth. Keep her, Severus, love her for the three of us. Will you do that for me, Severus?'

Severus Snape could still see those beautiful green eyes at the forefront of his mind; he could still see the tears dribble up and over her bottom lid and he could still feel the need to resist wiping them away with his thumb. It was heart breaking, heart wrenching, and it made him want to give up on everything.

'Severus' the voice in his memory was whispering now, full of grief and sadness and regret 'Sev, promise me that you will love her and raise her to be anything, anyone, she wants to be. Let her know that it's okay to be different.'

'And, in your own time, you can tell her the truth.'

'I realise that this is asking a lot of you and I realise that it won't be easy but I trust you, despite everything, I trust you and I know that you will do what you can to protect her.'

'Severus Snape' the memory chuckles sadly 'will you do me the honour of accepting this responsibility?'

Severus opens his mouth but no sound comes out at first; it takes him a moment or two to gather himself before, finally, he can speak. "Yes, yes to everything; I promise" he vows, to the empty room, the tone of his voice raw with emotion. "I promise" he repeats, dropping to his knees and burying his head in his hands.

"Severus" a hand on his shoulder brought him back from the painful memories in his head.

"I know, Albus, she's gone."

Albus removed his hand from Severus' shoulder and conjured up two small glasses and a bottle of fire whiskey out of thin air. "A toast" he announced softly, as he half-filled the two glasses which were floating in front of him "to what is and to what shall be."

It took a moment or two for Severus to gather himself before he rose and took one of the glasses.

"To love and to sacrifice" Albus continued "and to promises unbroken." He held his glass toward Severus, clinked them, and then poured the shot into his mouth before watching Severus do the same. "She would be proud of you Severus" he states.

"I made a promise to her" grumbled Severus "the child is the light in the darkness, the only thing I have to remind me of the woman that I loved and then condemned. I love her as I loved her mother and I am not about to condemn her too." He turns to the baby who was sound asleep under a bundle of blankets on the sofa. Since she'd been entrusted to him, he hadn't let her out of his sight, not even for a second but he sensed that this was about to change. "You're not here just to check on my welfare, are you, Albus?"

Dumbledore chuckles softly before he takes a seat in one of the two armchairs set around the fire. "You know me far too well, Severus" he states "however, you are correct. I apologise for the timing but Horace has finally retired; I received his owl just last night. I assume that the death of Lily Potter finally pushed him over the edge so," he pauses, staring absently into the fire "I am in need of a potions master before term resumes and I can think of no better person than yourself."

"I can't, Albus; Prim isn't old enough to be left alone and I don't want to leave her. I have to protect her, I made a promise. How can I protect her if I am not with her?"

"Hogwarts is as safe as any stronghold, Severus, you know that. Of course, if you accept the position I will allow you to bring her with you and I will arrange for her to be watched whilst you are teaching even if that means that I must have her."

Severus sighed, sensing that he was fighting a losing battle. He did need a steady income; raising a child is always going to be costly and he knew that he couldn't continue living off brewing and selling potions in his basement. "I suppose that I can't convince you to give me the defence against the dark arts position."

"I'm afraid not" came Dumbledore's reply "but I can guarantee that the position pays well."

"And what am I to do when Prim is older? She won't start Hogwarts until after she's turned eleven and-"

"Severus" Albus smiles warmly at the young man "you shouldn't start worrying about the future when it's the present that you should be concentrating on. I do, however, know of a muggle school that is run by a very dear friend of mine; if you wish it, Primrose can attend when she reaches the appropriate age."

It was obvious that Dumbledore had thought of everything he could have at this point in time and Severus knew that it would be futile to continue stalling. "Fine, I accept your offer. When do I need to arrive?"

"Due to the events over the past few days, the school will remain closed for a little longer than usual. I will send an owl when a date has been confirmed." Albus Dumbledore rose to his feet and placed a comforting hand on Severus' shoulder "thank you for your time, Severus; if there is anything that I can do for you, please, don't hesitate to ask." The older man then turned to the still sleeping child and smiled down at her. "Identical no longer, I'm afraid" he sighed before making for the door and disappearing.