Chapter 1 - Unexpected road trip, party of one please.

"I'm pretty sure I should have crossed the border by now."

After a sigh in defeat, I mentally and physically cringed as my old Chevy's brakes shrieked at me to put them out of their misery as I maneuvered into the emergency lane off the road. I turned the interior lights on as the sun already had disappeared from the sky and I could barely make out the shape of my hands in front of me before reaching for the soda stained map.

Now you may be thinking well Kate, you don't live in the Stone Age, there is this wonderful thing called GPS. However, in the rush of the moment I did not pack one single charging device for my cellphone. Also all the gas stations I stopped at were closed or ran out of chargers. Oh well, I took a geography class once.

"You're the reason this has to be more complicated, you know that right?"

I couldn't help but to glare at my lifeless phone that sat on the passenger seat near all the junk food garbage and I felt foolish waiting for it to respond to my rhetorical question. At the same time I couldn't really blame myself for the insane moments since I've been in complete solitude for the past four and a half hours. The last somewhat interaction I had with another human was when I left that awkward voicemail for my mom. I had already put a small dent in my unexpected road trip when I dialed her number.

"Hey mom, it's Katie and I just wanted to give you a heads up that I will be at Aunt Marsha's house for a bit. Jason and I-" I wiped the tears, trying to think of an explanation that would keep my mother from going all momma bear on my recent ex, and without lying to her "are taking a break. I'm not exactly sure what will happen to us and the engagement, but for the time being I need to be alone. I need to figure out who I am and what I want. I know this doesn't make sense but please try to not make a bigger deal than it already is. I'm so thankful for everything that you have done for me mom. Please give Dad and Riley hugs for me. I'll call you when I get there, love you, bye."

After that phone call and three more sobbing fits, I chose to shut the world away. It wasn't that hard since my phone died after that one phone call. I took a shaky breath, unsuccessfully trying to block his deep hazel eyes from my mind, and focused on the lines on the map in my hands. I wasn't completely helpless when it came to reading a map but I mostly relied on my memory. I didn't know the almost five hour route by heart but I made this trip every Christmas for eighteen years and sometimes visiting for summer breaks.

After figuring out my mistake, I got back on the road and started the journey once again. I tried to calm the nerves by turning the radio on. The first stations were nothing but static with the hint of a mariachi band playing in the background. I kept scanning, hoping for a radio talk show despite the late hours.

"Welcome back late night listeners, tonight I have two special guests sharing their story. Now our couple has been traveling the world, breaking the normal status quo, and just enjoying each other's company." I smiled when I heard the sound of a woman with a slight New York accent. "Now I truly believe there is someone special for each person on this earth. I also think that love finds it way when you least expected and that's when you know it's the real deal. Have you ever experienced that Dan?"

"Yes I have Lisa. My wife, Aisha, and I have been married for almost eight years now. I met her when I was just beginning as the co-host here and wow did that woman blow me away the first time I laid my eyes on her." I wanted to shut the radio station off but for some reason I couldn't stop listening to the smooth voice of Dan as he shared his story.

"Really? What was the intense moment that signified she was the one?" Lisa questioned, her voice just as pleasant as Dan's.

"It wasn't just one single moment that really opened my eyes. It was just everything about her, her smile, how she laughs, charismatic personality and how we were around each other that showed me what love truly is. Sure we both have been in past relationships that we thought were good at that time but I have never felt anything like I did with my wife and I still do."

"Wow, that's amazing. Now guys I personally know both Dan and Aisha, and I've never met another couple that compliments each other so well like those two do. It's a complete inspiration to us still trying to find that special someone."

"It's not like we need to find someone." I bitterly muttered to myself but continued to listen to Lisa's words even though I felt myself gripping the steering wheel tighter.

"Well another inspiring story comes from our next guests who found love when they least expected it. They are finally on the line with us and want to share how they overcame their differences just to discover something wonderful waiting for them in the end."

I turned the station off, preferring to be content with silence instead of having to listen to another happy couple sharing their love story and how perfect their life was. I was perfectly fine wallowing in my own self-grievance and bitterness for now.

Another half hour drive and I had passed the Canadian border with ease since I still had a current visa on my passport, I was driving through a familiar neighborhood when the car began to slow down and smoke started to appear from the front.

"No no no no please you've been so good to me don't quit now, no!" I begged, my eyes watering, and the car finally stopped with the engine light immediately turning on.

I don't know how long I sat there staring at the engine light and it staring back at me, mocking me. The puff of smoke that formed as I exhaled indicated of the state of the temperature and I knew it was only going to get colder. After wiping the window with my sleeves to get rid of the fog, I realized that I was only a few blocks short of my destination. The place where my great aunt would shower me with nothing but love and appreciation. She would easily melt away the pain I felt with her loving ways and the help of heavens gift to earth, chocolate.

With a new sense of hope and adrenaline, I grabbed my bag, stuffed my useless piece of cellphone in the pocket of my jacket, I stepped out of my car.

"Oh my- It is so cold, so very cold. I am c-c-cold."

I thought I had braced myself for the bitter frosty air but I had drastically underestimated it. The fact that it was snowing did not help my case at all. After awhile of just standing there, I began to move my feet, dragging my suitcase on the icy sidewalk. Slowly but surely, I was just steps away from my great aunt's door. As I raised my trembling hand to ring the doorbell, I couldn't help the terrifying realization that sent new shivers throughout my body.

I was twenty four, possibly homeless since I know I will not be going to my old apartment that I shared with him, AWOL from my job, and now forever alone. I really hated the fact that just thinking about Jason had me bawling my eyes out.

"Get it together, you don't need him. It's all about moving on from your tragedies right? Tomorrow will be a better day."

With that small but much needed self-pep talk, I rang the doorbell.