Eve #2. A Short Story for Teens

Excerpt from Science Log online blog - 28 August 20XX.... Astronomers here in the US are partying like it's 1977 as reports filter through that a strong, loud and modulating sound has been heard from deep space. Not since 6EQUJ5, or better known as the WOW sound, was recorded by the Big Ear Radio Observatory at Ohio State University back on 15 August 1977 has a sound caused such a commotion.

A close source to SETI has told this blogger that five days ago an irregular but repeated sound of varying modulation and pitch was recorded for 110 seconds (longer than the WOW sound which was a mere 72 seconds) by a yet unconfirmed astronomer at the Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array radio telescope in New Mexico. This sound, which apparently has been heard on several occasions from several different radio telescopes including the SETI Allen Telescope Array (ATA) has many of the same characteristics as the WOW sound; and has caused so much interest that a request has been put through for the Hubble telescope to be repositioned to determine if a source of the sound can be detected if not visualised.

If three letters were to be added to the print-out of this new discovery, surely it would be OMG.

.....

Excerpt from Space Monthly Magazine - 4 September 20XX... Has Man made first contact with an extra-terrestrial race? This is the question everyone in the astronomy community is asking after first images from the Hubble telescope have captured what looks to be an object of unnatural formation.

A week ago, on the night of the 22nd August, during a regular surveillance of the sky, Ms Bernadette Hugo, astronomer at the Karl G. Jansky VLA observatory in New Mexico serendipitously began recording a sound immediately tagged as something 'of great interest.' This sound would lead astronomers across the globe to probe space further and eventually identify what some scientists are calling the greatest find of the Human Race. The Karl G. Jansky VLA telescope was not designed nor is employed to search for such sounds from possible extra-terrestrial life, but it seems that Ms Hugo was in the right place at the right time. Since first recording the sound, the SETI institute has taken up the mantle of searching for answers to the mounting number of questions as scientists now begin unravelling the mysteries of this tiny, silver speck deep in space. So deep, in fact, that it could be a long time before we can get a proper look at this object.

.....

Excerpt from SETI News and Announcements... www.seti.org - 8 September 20XX... As more images and transmissions come in from what looks to be the source of the sound first recorded on 22 August, Dr Allen Wang, Chairman of the SET Institute, has been quick to allay any fears saying that there is still a lot we do not know about the object. Dr Quill from NASA, when asked, said: "This object is still a long way away passing just inside Jupiter's perihelion, about 580 million kilometres from Earth. It is still quite early to say but at this early stage we are ruling out a meteor. We cannot, however, rule out the possibility that this object is merely space junk."

The object is steady and precise in its image indicating that it is not a rotating body.

.....

Excerpt from ESA press release - 14 September 20XX... ESA Director, Johan Herschel, has admitted that there has been some misinformation published about the whereabouts and velocity of the small space object that only until recently has appeared in our telescopes. He was quick to say that there has been no intent to confusion or mislead the public in anyway; it's been a case of scientists and astronomers coming to terms with what this object really is. The truth of the matter is that when the Hubble telescope first sent us images of the object, the object was calculated at about 600 million kilometres from Earth, somewhere outside of Jupiter's perihelion. At the time we believed it to take months or years to reach us.