chapter one ; matthews

reagan's pov

The common room was full of life as people chatted away about todays events. The quidditch trials are being held today and with the captain, Jared Weasley, graduating they need someone to take his place for the next season.

I pick at the chipping polish on my nails waiting for hazel to join me so we can walk to potions together but knowing her I'd have to walk on my own because she got caught up with Ashton again.

I hear stomping footsteps and cheers coming from the boys dorms as they get closer and I can only assume that they are talking about what everyone else is talking about.
"Calum! You have nothing to worry about, the spot is yours,man. Who else is there that could possibly get that position?" A thick Irish accent yells throughout the common room and my stomach churns.

Soon enough, a group of boys swam towards the couches with Niall Horan and Calum Hood at the front of the group, obviously talking about the tryouts coming up.

"Niall you know exactly who matches up to me when we play"
I know that he's talking about me. He's always said that even though people thought one of us was better than the other we were always evenly matched when it came to quidditch. Always.

I look up at the pair to already see their eyes on me, I lock eyes with Calum and smirk at him.
"What? Scared I'm gonna beat you Calum?" I snide, leaning back in the chair and putting one leg over the other while twirling my hair on my finger.

"Never, Matthews" Calum remarks, stepping forward. In one swift motion I'm up on my feet and up in his face, only noticing now how tall he'd gotten over the summer.

"Well you should be, hood" he's taken back by my sudden cockiness and opens his mouth to speak but before he can I cut him off.

"If you want the captaincy you've gotta bring your A game, the team doesn't like lousy, entitled players" I smirk at him one again and he licks his lips.

"Reagan! Let's go, I'm not being late again because you and Calum decided to flirt" hazel shouts from the entrance to the common room. I roll my eyes at her remark before turning my head to face the blonde.

"Oh please, hazel. I'm not the one making us late when you meet up with ash every morning to do god knows what" I laugh at her reaction as her face turns beat red and she try's to look anywhere but straight at me.

As I turn to walk away I feel a hand on my wrist
"Where do you think you're going?" Calum snaps
"To class, obviously" I snap back as I pull back my wrist and walk out of the common room and down the hall, choosing to not think about the encounter I just had with Calum.