1

Maya Waters -

Maya Waters
-

I sat in the back of the class wiggling a pencil in between my two fingers. Anita, my best friend, sat to my right babbling on about something I didn't care about.

"Are you listening to me?", Anita questioned as she snapped her fingers in front of my face. I simply nodded, "mhm".

I watched my best friend fold her arms across her chest and proceeded to laugh, "what?".

"Then what did I say?".

"Something about prom in May"

Anita smiled, "okay good. So who are you going with". I rolled my eyes and fanned her off, "Anita please. First, it's February. This is all you've been talking about for months. I'm not going."

"Oh you're going. You have to, it's your last year of high school Maya".

I raised an eyebrow, setting my pencil down on the desk in front of me. "I am?"

"Yes"

Just as I opened my mouth to give her a response, the teacher called my name. "Since you have a lot to say, how about answering this next question Ms.Waters".

I huffed and looked at Anita who had sorry written all over her face. "What is it?".

"Why do you think so many high school students prefer to be in relationships rather than be by themselves?"

The whole class stared at me as I adjusted her self in my chair, preparing to answer the teacher's unnecessary question.

"Honestly, I don't know. Because personally I think relationships are overrated. I don't believe in giving all my trust and attention to someone who's not going to stay around forever", I stated simply.

The teacher accepted my answer and moved on to bother someone else.

As Anita and I continued to engage in conversation on a different topic, a light tap interrupted us.

"Aye Maya", the boy sitting behind me whispered. Slowly turning around, I looked him in his face.

"What"

Andre licked his lips and gave me a smug smile, "I'll stay around foreva' if ya' let me lil mama. fine ass".

I chuckled and turned myself back around, "have fun with that".