Wondering eyes

The start of year feast began and Lily and I finally sat down after taking a very slow march up to the castle, chatting away vividly about what we could expect from this year. I plonked down beside Remus, greeting him and everyone else hello. Sitting opposite me, however, was Sirius with his charming and winsome smile. Sadly and very shockingly, Marlene was latched on his arm, her head resting against his shoulder. Raising an eyebrow at him, there was a flash of uncomfortableness and embarrassment on his face. I can see us having a chat in the late hours in the morning. I looked at Lily and she too, was looking at him with an unimpressed look. Very subtle Lily! Very subtle!

"So WE finally get the host the first years sister sleepover for the last time tonight! I know it's early this year but McGonagall suggested it when she owled me about becoming.... HEAD GIRL!" Lily squeaked! We all gasped and applauded for her. I knew she would get Head Girl

"YES! That means more time with you Lily Pad!" James piped up with the fattest grin on his face, pointing a pin on his robes....

"NO!" Lily's eyes grew wider than a deers in contact with headlights

"Oh yes baby! HEAD BOY!" He fist pumped, the boys erupting with laughing, although Remus looked did look a little dishearten. We all thought it was going to be him....
Lily hung her head, banging it against the table aggressively. Sirius looked at her wide eyed as I slipped my hand under the spot she was hitting to cushion the blow. This was going to be a long night!

With the feast finally over, we all congregated ourselves up towards our house common rooms, happily chatting away. I couldn't help but look over at Sirius and Marlene every now and then, watching how she would giggle and gush every time he talked. It wasn't fake. Sirius really was a genuine, kind and funny guy and he could make anyone happy... including me.

"I knew that Marlene fooled around with him last year but they're a couple now?" Lily muttered in my ear as soon as we reached the common room, flopping down on the sofa "you okay?"

"Yeah... I'll talk to him later when everyone's asleep..." I shrugged, going quiet quickly as Marlene skipped over to us girls. She avoided looking at me and turned all her attention on Alice and Lily.

"So, pj's on, Alice, Myself, Mary and Amy will set up the pillows and sleeping bags, Lily you gather all the snacks from everyone... and thats it!" She clapped her hands together. I raised an eyebrow and folded my arm

"And what about me?" My voice was cold. What have I done to make her hate me so much? With a gentle cough, she stood and strutted away. Clenching my teeth, I wanted nothing more than to yank her hair, but knowing me too well, Lily took my hands and sighed.

"Let's just get ready"

---//---

The first year girls all sat together on pillows, smiling up at all the other older girls, bouncing and giggling. Marlene was half way through telling an old wizard story, acting it out and making a fool out of herself. Everyone was giggling, myself included. I sat on the back of the sofa, shaking my head at her. My eyes caught sight of a person on the left... a person who wasn't a girl. Standing on the last few steps stood Sirius, him too giggling at how ridiculous McKinnon was being. He looked at me on the sofa, his head tilting to the side with his content smile. I watched him as his wondering eyes took view of the sea of girls that stole the common room, chuckling every now and then. My curiosity was eating at me. I felt a tiny nudge beside me and knew Lily was watching. She was a strange little one.

Sleep took over us all, apart from myself. I sat up in my sleeping bag, my wand dimly lit to help me see my romance novel I bought over the summer.

"Annnd what is that fluff you're reading?" A very quiet and silky whisper appeared in my ear. I jumped slightly but their hand wrapped arms the top of my shoulders, holding me still.

"A romance novel if you must know" I muttered, turnings my head to look at the boy I've been dying to talk too all day. I shuffled out of my sleeping bag and allowed him to assist me in getting up. The room was like a sea of lions; one wrong move and they could all wake up and eat us for disturbing the peace! We gently tip toed as carefully as possible, reaching for the staircase to keep out of the way. We got to the top of the boys stairs and sat down on the finale step.

"What's all this monkey business then!" I swiftly pulled down the neck of his shirt, pointing at the tattoo that peek-a-booed at me early this morning.

"No hi" he pouted, an eyebrow raised at my confidence to attack his shirt.

"Hi. What's all this monkey business then" I repeated once again, only trying to keep my poker face. He shook his head and pulled his top down a little more to get a clear picture of it.

"Well, you know that I got disowned so I thought the best way to get over it is marking my brand of being what my parents will now forever see me as; filth." He nodded, pulling his pyjama top back up.

"Don't say you're filth again." I sighed. We argued a lot about his parents and the safety of my parents and how after school was done things could get messy but I was not in any mood to argue about it tonight

He pulled his lips together and nodded.

"You and McKinnon eh?... You seem, uh, snug?" I didn't know how to word it, the idea of the those two smooching or getting cosier than being friends was an idea I refused to believe

"She's great isn't she!" His smirk widened, his words feeling genuine. You got to be kidding me.

"Yeah! Great." I repeated for his sake. I wasn't going to start the year with disagreeing on his choice of girls.

"You look, fantastic by the way! Who would of thought you'd look even better than the last time I saw you!" He started babbling out. I coughed and gave him a look of bewilderment

"Are you flirting with me Mr. Black?" I fold my arms, prodding his side slightly.

"I uh, sorry! Habit!" He wiggled his eyebrows. Yes it was habit. It was something I was used to hearing when we first got to know each other but as the year went on, the flirting turned into laughter and friendship. Flirting with him felt suddenly wrong...mainly because he seemed to be having a thing going on with McKinnon.

We talked for ages, catching up on everything we missed during the holidays since we couldn't write letters. He was amazing company, he made me feel right at home.

"How's your parents?" Sirius yawned slightly, probably due to use going into the early hours of the morning.

"I'd like to say my dad's doing better but.." I took a deep sigh. I learnt in the early months of my 6th year that my father develops lung cancer, a shock to the system I could of gone with out. Since then I had been hot on writing to my parents nearly every week to keep up with everything I was missing out on. "He's holding in. He's a Green. We're tough cookies." I grinned, resting my head on his shoulder, my eyes dropping slower and slower. His head rested ever so slightly on mine, a hand taking hold of my petite one.

My breathing went heavy and the feeling of anyone next to me faded away. The stairs were cold but somehow comfy. My gently breathing was all that was heard around me.