Delivery

She was unlike any other woman I had ever encounter; elegant, mesmerizing and alluring all in the very essence of her being. However, we were from two completely different worlds. She the head doctor of the most respected hospital in all 50 states and I, a bike courier from a small town with one traffic light.

"Good afternoon" I said to the receptionist

"Good afternoon, how can I help you today" she replies

"I have a delivery for Doctor Corwin and I was instructed to ensure she receives it personally" I stated

The receptionist looks at me with pursed lips, checks her watch and then looks at the computer screen

"Well you're in luck because she just so happens to be in her office at the moment finishing up a meeting. If you wait in the chair outside the door, I will let her know you're there."

She says as she points down a short corridor. I make my way in the direction she pointed and sit patiently in the chair. As I sit my nerves begin to get the best of me, I've only seen Dr. Corwin from a distance whenever I made a delivery to the hospital for someone. This would be the FIRST time I've seen her face to face.

My thoughts are interrupted as the door begins to open and two individuals exit the office. A man who looks to be in his late 40s, tall and distinguished with a snow-white beard and mustache to match; and a woman who wearing a white coat with an up-do twist out and beautiful dark velvet skin.

"Thank you for your time Dr. Corwin, I look forward to working with you in the near future" the man states with an outreached hand

"The pleasure is all mine and I too look forward to working with you as well Mr. Lamont" replies Dr. Corwin as she shakes the man's hand.

The man process down the corridor and to the elevators, when he is no longer in sight Dr. Corwin turns to me and motions to enter her office. Taking a deep breath as I get to my feet I follow behind her into her corner office overlooking the park and wooded area.

"So, my assistant tells me you have a delivery for me and it had to be given to me personally, is that correct?" she states as she moves to her desk

I swallow hard before replying "yes ma'am, those were the instructions I was given" as I finally manage to speak

I stand there flabbergasted watching this divine amazon damn near glide across the floor of her office space. Although she was wearing heels it was easy to see that she had to stand maybe 5'8" without them and a voluptuous physique that could easily be admired in clothing as well as out. It was very obvious she took great care of her appearance as well as loving her natural form as it dawned on me she didn't have on much make-up maybe some eyeliner and lipstick.

"So where is this package?" she says to me as she's leaning up against her desk arms folded looking at me curiously

I reach into my shoulder bag and pull out a large envelope with no writing or postage on it.

"Here it is Dr. Corwin" as I start moving towards her

"Please out there I'm Dr. Corwin" she gestures to the door "in here I'm Isis"

In that simple sentence, I become more drawn to her like a moth to a flame and I try so hard to maintain my composure.

"Okay then, Isis" I say in a low voice just as I hand her the envelope.

"Well thank you... umm...." she pauses

"Xavier Lyndall" I reply

Her eyes slightly widen and she smiles the most breathtaking smile, showing the most amazing set of teeth, you only imagine seeing in magazines.

"Thank you, Xavier" she says

And it was then that my knees buckled slightly, never in my 28 years of life has a woman ever said my name in such a vibrant tone... not even in the bedroom... but she just made my name sound like it was her favorite phrase in the world.

"Are you okay?!" she exclaims as I regain my footing

"Yes, I'm fine, just more so embarrassed now is all." I say with a chuckle and shy smile

"Well please have a seat, I'll get you some water." She insists as she starts walking towards a mini fridge near her desk

"No, no..." I start "I'm fine honest, but thank you"

She turns with a water bottle in hand and starts rushing back towards me, in her hurry she somehow trips over the little floor rug and starts to fall. Without hesitation, I react and catch her in my arm, her hands on my chest and my hands on her waist. She looks up into my face with the most embarrassed look on her face, we stand there quiet looking into one another eyes before a knock at the door brings us back to reality.

"Dr. Corwin your 2 o'clock is here" the receptionist voice comes thru the door

"Thank you, Vanessa, give me one moment" she replies and straightens herself "well Xavier I thank you for delivering my package but regrettably I must ask you to leave."

"It was my pleasure" I respond as I start walking towards the door with her behind me "enjoy the rest of your day Isis and who knows maybe I'll see you around on my route one day" I say with a smile

I open the door and turn down the corridor heading to the elevator, inside of me I want so bad to ask her out, to get her number but it is not a professional thing to do and I'm quite sure she's not in the least bit interested. I look over my shoulder and wave goodbye one last time just as I hear the elevator doors open and I step inside.

As I get out of the lobby and on to my bike my mind starts to do that thing I hate sometimes... it starts playing the "What If Game" ... what if the receptionist hadn't knocked on the door, what if I had kissed her when I caught her or what if I had asked her for her number before I left.