Surprising Sherlock: Chapter One

Authors Note

This story takes place in an AU in which "The Reichenbach Fall" (episode) took place except for the actual fall. In this story Moratirty does kill himself on the roof but before Sherlock can jump the snipers are found by his homeless network and killed, making it safe for Sherlock to walk off the rooftop, but he never told John (or anyone) the full story of what happend (Morarty targeting John, Lastrade and Mrs.Hudson).

Chapter One

It was a normal night at 221B Baker St. John was sitting in his chair typing and drinking a cup of tea. Sherlock was laying on the couch with his fingers intertwined under his chin, his eyes closed.

"John" said Sherlock disturbing the silence and making John jump a bit.

"Yes Sherlock"

"Will you stop that incisive typing I am trying to think!"

John rolled his eye, "So am I" and he continued to type. Sherlock's eyes shot open

"What are you even writing about?"

John eyebrows furrowed together quite insulted by Sherlock's question.

"A case."

The right corner of Sherlock's mouth curved up a bit and he closed his eyes "You mean me."

"Why do you say that?"

"You're typing a lot."

John felt his checks get a bit warm but didn't think into it, "No actually I'm writing about apart of the case that Anderson worked on."

Sherlock's eyes shot open and he jolted up off the couch and went into his room, slamming the door behind him. John laughed, of course he wasn't writing about Anderson he just said that to get a reaction out of Sherlock and he was quite happy with the one he got. About a ten minutes later Sherlock came out of his room and started to put on his coat and scarf. Without turning around John asked where Sherlock was going.

"Lastrade called, they need help with a case"

John stood up and started to put on his coat, Sherlock raised an eyebrow at him. "What?" John asked noticing the look he was getting from his friend.

"Oh I just figured you wouldn't want to accompany me "

"Why not?" John was quite confused. Sherlock open the door and started down the stairs,

"Because" he yelled over his shoulder "I thought Anderson was your new favorite".

John rolled his eyes and glared at his friends back well following him down the stairs and out the door.

---

The crime scene was on a second story flat in downtown London. As John and Sherlock walked into the flat, they saw a young women laying face down on the carpet with a knife sticking out of her back. Lestrade looked over at the two of them

"Oh there you are! So obviously it's a murder but there was no signs of forced entry or struggle. When we got here the door was shut, and dead bolted. According to the landlady the victim lived alone and no matter what she always had her door locked. She's the one that called due to the smell."

After Lestrade stopped taking John noticed the smell for the first time. It bothered him a bit that he had become so used to the smell of death that he didn't even notice it anymore. Sherlock looked around the room. He saw the victims key on the counter, one bed, several boxes and a mattress against the wall, and a very well dressed man Sherlock had never seen before.

"Well, she clearly hadn't lived alone for long, I'm guessing that the victim and her flatmate probably had a falling out. Hence the boxes and mattress, the flatmate probably felt betrayed or hurt and wanted to leave a soon as possibly so they still have their keys. There is a knife missing from the knife set in the kitchen so it wasn't a planned crime. The flatmate probably came back for their things, got upset again over what ever squabble caused them to leave and stabbed the victim, they then left rather hastily but locked the door out of habit."

Sherlock looked pleased at himself for outsmarting the police so quickly.

"That was bloody amazing!" said the well dressed man standing opposite Sherlock.

Sherlock turned to Lastrade "Oh yes I almost forgot, who is that?"

The man came over to Sherlock and John with an outstretched hand

"I'm Jake Rogers, I'm filling in for Donovan well she's on holiday."

Sherlock faked a smile and walked past Jake. John took Jake's hand and introduced himself. "John Watson, pleased to me you."

A huge smile appeared on Jake's face "Your John Watson, I love your blog." John blushed a bit, happy to have a fan.

John turned to Lastrade "Can we keep him, he is a great deal more pleasant then Donavan". Lestrade, John and Jake all laughed. Sherlock eyed them and then walked out the door yelling for John over his shoulder. John waved goodbye to Lastrade and Jake before running out the door to catch up with the consulting detective.

---

The next day went by rather normally John went to work and Sherlock stayed in the flat experimenting. The day after they got another call asking for help on a case. Of course Sherlock solved the case the police found impossible, but with little help from John. He had spent most of his time on the side chatting with Jake about what they thought was relevant to the case.

This irritated Sherlock quite a bit. He realized John just wanted a new friend, but why did he need any other friends when he had Sherlock. That night Sherlock sat in his chair and John in his as they watched telly. Well "watched" telly; John was on his phone texting and Sherlock was yelling at the screen because of the stupid plot of the show that was on. After his third rant, Sherlock looked over at John "Who are you talking to?".

"What? Um I'm not talking to anyone." John said back.

"John don't play dumb obviously you are texting someone!"

"Oh well yes. I'm texting someone, not talking." John smirked,he found himself quite funny sometimes.

Sherlock glared at John and then his face went emotionless. The two flatmates went back to there previous states of texting and yelling. A while later John let out a loud laugh and was grinning ear to ear.

"Who are you texting?" asked Sherlock. There was no reply. So Sherlock asked again and John continued to ignore him.

"For the love of...who are you texting?" Sherlock yelled a bit louder then he had meant too.

John looked at Sherlock with his eyebrows raised, "You know I am allowed to have other friends, goodnight Sherlock".

And with that the good doctor got off his chair and went up to his room. John wished that Sherlock had stopped asking him about his phone. It was getting rather awkward since John was texting several people about Sherlock! Sherlock's birthday was coming up the following week and since John figured Sherlock would forget something as"unnecessary" as what day he was born on John was planning a surprise party for him. It was undoubtly the hardest thing he had ever done, keeping a secret from the worlds best (and only) consulting detective.

---

After John went upstairs, Sherlock turned off the television and picked up his violin. As he played he couldn't help but wonder why John was hiding things from him, especially something as unimportant as who he was texting. Who could he have been talking with that made him laugh so deeply, these thoughts spun around the detective's head as he filled the flat with music.