Chapter 1: Secrets & Ceremonies

Stars Hollow glistened with a cover of dew in the early light of dawn and had never seemed more special than it was right now in this moment. The veil of night had hidden the secret desires of hearts that had at last become one. Now, in this early hour, it almost felt like an entirely different place.

Each day that had passed since Rory had taken that test, transported her into a new, strange sort of world. She was surprised that her body already felt different. Somehow, she had been functioning day after day, just doing what was required as if on autopilot, but her mind was miles away!

The crisp cold air on this November morning was unlike anything Rory had breathed in before.  As she sat quietly beside her mom on the familiar stairs of the town gazebo, she couldn't help but look around her, just wanting to take in every sight, every sound —all of it, as she wanted to remember this moment forever.

Her mom was ecstatically happy and was just saying how her daughter would find someone amazing one day and then they could do things that married ladies do together.

"Married...married?...Will that ever be possible for me?" Rory thought.

Staring off into the distance, Rory's eyes tried to hide the sadness, uncertainty and fears that had begun to appear in troubled lines across her brow. Lorelai sensed that there was something on her daughter's mind. Rory sighed heavily, breaking the silence, knowing she couldn't keep this secret any longer!

"Mom..."

The town was coming to life but no one would guess the incredible news Rory had been holding onto.

"Yeah?" Lorelai asked looking her daughter in the eye.

"I'm pregnant."

Rory's words were finally out of her head, where for days, they had been replaying over and over. Relief seemed to flood through her whole body in a wave which brought a sense of preliminary peace. Seconds later though, she began to panic! Rory searched her mother's face, desperately trying to find evidence of approval.

As Lorelai's ears had heard her daughter's words, they seemed to echo, rebounding off every familiar tree and building in view. With each second that went by, Rory began to realise the enormity of her confession.

Lorelai's mouth looked as though words were about to come spilling out. Her eyes darted back and forth but other than a few vowels here and there, no words seemed to form. Rory breathed out heavily, the warm vapour visible in the early morning air. She hadn't realised she had actually been holding her breath, waiting for a response. Instead of a barrage of words, either positive or negative, Lorelai just reached out, taking her daughter in a tight hug.

This broke the floodgates for Rory. She had wondered for days how her mom would take the news.  All she needed to know was that she was loved and accepted and even without words, she had her answer. For the next few minutes, Lorelai held her only daughter as sobs shook her small frame.

So much had happened in the past 12 hours with her mom's impromptu late night wedding —all while the town slept. Rory hadn't planned to share this news on her mother's wedding day but it just seemed that this was the moment. It was of course the last thing Lorelai expected to hear but despite the questions she longed to ask, now was not the time. She remembered the response her own mother had made when at sixteen it had been discovered she was pregnant. History wasn't going to repeat itself and besides, they had a wedding to get ready for!

Perhaps the cool morning air numbed Lorelai's emotions as well as her hands, as despite the surprising news from her daughter, there was still a sense of completeness and happiness. She was finally moving on with Luke —she was already technically Mrs Danes, after deciding to make her vows with Luke the night before! Rory would be beginning a new season of her life too as a new little part of her had already formed and would be growing, making it's presence felt very soon!

"Hold on tight Rory," Lorelai finally said, "Treasure each day, savour every moment. There is a time for everything. This is your time, your journey. The ride will be like the biggest, scariest roller coaster you have ever ridden but it will be exhilarating and fill you with joy too! Just don't do the ride alone! I know I did but it's much better to share it with someone kid. Don't be independently stubborn like I was!"

Rory hadn't thought very far ahead but she forced her racing mind to remember her mother's words of wisdom and this moment forever.

Wiping tears away, the two women stood up to face the day ahead.

****************************

Swinging open the door of her childhood home, Rory ran straight into Jess!

"Oh crap! I'm sorry!" She mumbled, trying not to make eye contact.

"Where have you two been? There's not much time before the ceremony. Rory, you look like you've been..." Jess started as he took in her appearance with concern.

"No time to stand around talking Jess," Rory interrupted. " I have a bride to dress! Can you please get us some coffee? Then you better go check on Luke."

Rory knew she wouldn't be able to ignore his question forever but her mind had to be on the ceremony ahead and there would be plenty of time to talk later! The house was alive with laughter and the excited chatter of relatives and friends who seemed to flow in one door and out the other. There were plenty of distractions —just what Rory needed to get through the day!

After the best part of an hour had passed, the stunning bride was finally ready in her ivory vintage lace, her hair adorned with flowers, ready to walk down the aisle - again! Rory had splashed enough cold water on her face to feel awake and her eyes looked less puffy now. She carefully applied enough make up to camouflage the dark circles under her eyes and generally brighten her appearance to ward off any suspicion. She slipped on her dress —it was a deep turquoise, long sleeved fitted design with a low back and finished just above the knee. Rory had chosen comfortable pumps of a sensible height as she expected to be on her feet a long while!

After a quick detour via the kitchen, to sip on some ginger ale, which was all her stomach could handle right now, Rory joined her mom for photos in the garden with her grandmother, before the wedding party proceeded to the town square. She was pleased to have this distraction right now and wanted this day to be just perfect for her mom - she deserved every bit of happiness after dedicating so many years to parenting as a single mom.

Jess eyed Rory suspiciously throughout the ceremony. He knew she had been crying —she had looked pale and seemed a million miles away.  After the ceremony, he planned to get her alone to talk, intent on finding out what was really happening in her life.

Jess just couldn't help caring about her, even though their relationship during high school had been so brief and volatile. As he fixed his gaze on her beautiful brown hair shining in the sun, he knew that somehow his attraction to Rory Gilmore would always remain. Their connection was solid these days but he knew that the chance of ever getting closer than friends, seemed long over.  Jess concluded that he probably loved her more like a sister and now that his uncle was married to her mother, they were kind of cousins! More than anything else, Jess felt a strong feeling of responsibility to check on Rory and get to the bottom of what was going on!

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Thanks for reading the first chapter which is basically just setting the scene. Hope you can take time to read on and come on this journey with me.

Whether you see Dean, Jess, Logan or even Finn as the perfect soul mate for Rory, you will want to see how things unfold! I can tell you that they are all part of Rory's life in this story as well as all your usual Stars Hollow favourites.

Keep reading Gilmore Girls: Precious Ties to discover the people, events and places that lead to love for Rory and an amazing new life! It won't be long before you will be able to see where her heart lies.

Don't stop here - Read Chapter 2! See what happens when Jess finally gets Rory alone for a chat!