One: To Love So Selfishly

I Can't Lose You Now

Introduction:

I hadn't meant to kiss her...that has to be understood. Hell, until I did, I hadn't even known that I wanted to love her in that way.

I was a fool for her. I had been from the second I met her, from the moment her eyes first met mine and her lips failed to curl in repugnance.

I'd known from that moment that I was lost, completely, to her. But I never could have imagined the extent of the emotions that rushed to the forefront of my perception the moment my lips molded into hers.

Passion was there, most definitely.

Overwhelming delight, of course, as well.

Excitement, no question, it made my blood burn.

But there was also something deeper, something more. I couldn't name it, but it settled over my heart in a way that made me feel lighter, brighter, buoyant. And yet, in the same instance, it made me feel depressed and racked with pain.

It took my breath away and offered no guarantee that I would get it back.

All I knew was what I had felt before was nothing in comparison to how I felt at that moment. Whereas before I was lost to her, as soon as our lips met, I gave myself completely to her possession.

I belonged to her.

I suppose you're confused. Nothing of what I've said so far has made any sense, I'm sure, as I've taken it out of context.

I should start at the beginning, shouldn't I?

In that case, there is something you should know. In actuality, a few things, but they flow together in a way that makes them as one. They are the basis of my entire story.

Pay attention, reader; although I doubt this will be the last time you hear what I am about to say.

My name is Vale and there is literally only person on this entire planet who does not despise the very air that I breathe. It's tragic, you say. I know that's what you're thinking. However, if you knew me, if you saw me, if you lived on the planet I live, in the world in which I reside, you would hate me too.

Everyone does.

But as I've said, there is one exception.

She is young and beautiful. Not beautiful in the way you are thinking, reader. Not in the way you humans perceive "true beauty". But in her own way, in a way that was absolutely stunning to me...and anyone else who met her.

She is rebellious, but sweet.

Her heart is kind, her mind is intelligent and full of brilliant ideas and thoughts, and her body is, of course, human.

But, most importantly, she's married.

5/14/2010

"They won't know to hate you."

Those were the six fatal words that had convinced me to attend my sister's party. Half sister, I feel I should correct. Our fathers are one in the same but there is a distinct difference between our mothers. Hers was human, for instance.

The words seem strange out of context. I realize that. That's why I'm about to explain their meaning.

My sister's name is Kailee and she is much younger than me. When she was born, her mother whisked her away to a planet called "Earth", with which I am sure you are distinctly familiar. There my sister, who is seven years my junior, was raised without the knowledge that she was only half human. When she turned sixteen, the age at which women in our world are considered "adult", my father intervened on her behalf and withdrew her from her human life into her Lekian life.