Part 1

Alex stood on the cliff, the ocean spraying over the skin of his bare chest as he overlooked the boats passing, memories of what he has been doing for the past year flooding his mind as tears come to his hazel eyes. His life ruined, he thought deeply about his choices in this position. The possibility of his wife and child being alive slim but still possible haunted him as he thought of her, the blonde hair casting down her body to her waist, his son looking like his mother but having his eyes. Alex was bawling at this point.

  About 3 months ago the war had started, nuclear bombs falling in Seattle, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. He had to leave on a business trip and go to New York and about 3 hours after the plane landed the news went national, the area decimated. Alex just stood there, mouth agape. He couldn't imagine the world without them, they just had to be alive. Had his hard work keeping his wife and son safe from harm for years all been in vain?

A year earlier...

  "Felix, buddy, I know its your birthday today but you gotta behave. Being ten doesn't mean you get to act like a hellion." Alex said, half serious. His wife looked at him and smiled as he picked up his son, setting him on his shoulders. "You're such a good father to him. I'm so glad I said 'yes' when you asked to marry me!" She said, excited for the wedding. Alex had been working his ass off for the past few months and bought a ring for her, the onyx and silver going perfect together. The reception was soon and news had spread wildly in both families, and both were equally as excited for it.

Present day...

  The small city of Salem Oregon felt like a perfect place to settle down and live the rest of his life with them at the time, looking back he felt like an idiot for choosing that place with it being the most likely to be caught in that nuclear fire. He felt the rage building up in his chest as he screamed out, it echoing over the ocean. He felt like he could have stopped this easily. Now there's nothing he can do besides hope they made it to safety in time. The sea sprayed over his chest again as he made his decision and stepped back away from the edge.