3 ||

Chapter 3

I got back to my apartment that evening, my body feeling physically drained. I was exhausted after an almost 12 hour shift at Green Town prison.

Would it always feel like this? Maybe I would get used to the pure demand of it all. I was hoping I would.

My apartment wasn't exactly a homely place to go back to either. I wanted a bath and maybe a glass of wine after my first day but the hot water hadn't been fixed yet and I had no food or drink in the house.

I sighed.

I couldn't even be bothered to take a trip down to the shop to get anything, I was just too tired.

Instead, I took a cold shower, got dressed in to a wrinkled pair of pyjamas from my suitcase and slipped in to an old bed that was left behind.

Well, at least it was comfortable enough.

I tried to sleep. I tried with all I could but I just couldn't seem to get the relaxation I wanted. I tossed and turned for at least an hour and as my belly rumbled, I slapped my pillow as if it were to blame.

Why couldn't I sleep?

Maybe, the tattooed criminal was playing on my mind like a broken record. What would it feel like to have him behind me? Infront of me? Is he rough or gentle, his voice turning in to a raspy gruff.

Shit. I needed to stop.

Why couldn't I get that damned man out of my mind? He wasn't a nice person, he wasn't somebody I should have been thinking about. It was highly illegal and extremely wrong of me to do so. He was under my care and my mind was being totally inappropriate.

I was going to hell. I knew it.

Just as I was about to hit my pillow again and maybe even throw it across the room in my sleep deprived anger, my phone blared from the floor and I picked it up with a huff.

"Hello." I greeted. I hadn't even checked to see who was calling me.

"Hi darling." My mom's voice flooded the mobile. "I just rang to ask you how your first day went?" She sounded hopeful and full of her usual happy energy. To hear her voice was enough to calm me down and keep me level headed.

I was also appreciative for the distraction away from the beast behind bars.

"It was okay." I tried to sound less exhausted than I was but there was no doubt my mother would be able to sense it. She always did.

"You sound tired, love. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I am. It was a good day." I replied back truthfully. I would get used to the exhaustion I felt today but I doubt I'd ever get used to the excitement of the job.

"Oh, I'm so glad." I could almost hear her smiling on the other end. "Don't forget to message your sister. She rang up the other day and told me she'd be visiting home in a few months time, how exciting is that?" She sounded ecstatic as her words played out.

I missed my sister dreadfully. She was also away working in Africa. She did anything to help others and was often away from us all, however, when she came home it was like she had never been away. The  news itself was enough to make me happy.