Chapter 1

Copyright © 2017 by Angela Kay

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

oOoOo

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

- Victor Hugo

oOoOo

Jayce 

    THE brightly colored lights flickered rapidly on the gym stage as my friends and I waited patiently on the side. Shouts and cheers of approval came from our high school body as the homecoming king and queen were announced. My band turned to our keyboardist, Michael Kayne, congratulating him as the King and slapping him on the back and shoulder. 

He was practically in shock at the unexpected start to the dance. I had gotten a lot of people to vote for him, selfishly I would say I'm the reason he became King. He definitely deserved it though. He went up the stairs in a daze as they put the sash over him and a paper crown on his head. My buddies snickered at the sight, but I nudged them, silently making them calm down.

    Laina Hauffer's name was called next causing me to direct my attention to her as she walked up, waving and looking out to the crowd while throwing everyone her signature smile that could liight up anyone's day. I couldn't take my eyes off her, as usual. She was perfect. Every girl strived to be like her, and every guy pined after her. She looked amazing, even though I could barely see her face from my angle. I saw Michael wrap his arm around her shoulders after the crown and sash were put on her. Immediately, all my pride for him dissipated. Suddenly, I didn't want him on that stage anymore, I wanted that to be me. I had to stop myself from doing something stupid right then and there.

    Michael spoke a few words in the microphone that I didn't really pay attention to. Something about the privilege and whatnot. I zeroed in on how close he was to Laina. Before I knew it, Michael had introduced our band and was calling us up on the stage. The Homecoming queen had left and I forced all my jealousy away, putting on a forced grin as I came up beside him proudly. The students whooped and clapped in excitement. This was going to be one of the best moments of my life, and nothing was going to ruin that. 

    One of my in-ears was wrapped around my ear while the other I left hanging down. I liked the ability to sharply distinguish the difference between the music we played and the crowd yelling the lyrics. I plugged my guitar into the XLR cord connecting it to the house speaker and stepped up to the microphone, my heart racing.

    I could practically feel the crowd's anticipation. The usual counts came through my earbuds loudly as the track started. 1, 2, 3, 4. Our drummer came in with a strong beat and the keys players faded in with a noticeable synth effect attached to it. I leaned close to the mic and sang, my acoustic swung across my back at the moment, the strap that held it resting on my shoulder. I didn't need the instrument for the first verse.

   "I saw it coming, from miles away"

   My peers cheered at the song choice, immediately joining in with me.