Words Fail

Nico di Angelo

The voice of Perseus Jackson was a mystery to everyone at Camp Half-Blood. Nobody (that I've heard of) has ever heard the son of Poseidon speak. He smiles, nods, and he knows sign language. And a few others know it but... The majority of camp only knows a few small things.

So he tries to communicate. It just doesn't end well most of the time. When he isn't talking and he goes to get paper or something to write something down, people think he's walking away to be rude.

And I mean, we haven't really talked much. I'm talkative and he doesn't talk at all. But I couldn't help but sort develop a crush on him. And I'm not afraid to admit it. People ask and I'll tell them. Bianca knows. Frank knows. His girlfriend, Reyna (it's really weird, I know) found out from him. And then Jason obviously knows. He was the first to find out.

But I was going to start talking to him. He doesn't have many friends, and you could always use another one. And maybe, eventually.... He's probably straight. But whatever, right?

Before I did that, though. We had lunch. And due to the numbers at camp, we weren't sorted by parent anymore. We all sat wherever. I was with Bianca, Jason, his girlfriend, Piper, Leo, Frank, and then Reyna. And then Annabeth and Grover, of course. Clarisse was sitting with Percy. She knew sign language so they can talk. She said he doesn't like talking about why he's mute.

We debate about it here and there, though. Play with ideas. Because he could've been born like that. But I mean... you never know.

"Maybe there was an accident," Leo was the first to suggest that. Nobody ever said that. I don't know why. We just never about that. Percy always seemed fairly happy. "Like when he was younger. Either it messed up his voice box or he just stopped talking. Either way... Have you guys seen old photos of him? Is there another sibling that maybe died?"

That was a... A heavy thought. I don't know what I would've done bad Bianca died rather than Thalia on that quest when we were new. I couldn't do it. I don't think I'd go mute. I'd just be really sad a lot of the time. She's all I have outside of our dad. And he's not... I mean, none of the gods are close with their kids. Not just my dad.

"I've never thought about that..." Grover remarked. "Dude, that's intense. I think he's an only child, though. I think his mom told me he's an only child. Outside of Tyson now. But the point stands."

Clarisse La Rue

I feel bad for Percy. It's hard for him to make friends. And I mean, I was rude to him at first, sure. But I'm rude to everyone. If you can't handle that from me, we can't be friends.

At lunch, we normally sit alone. Grover might sit with us. Thalia did until she died. The three of us knew sign language. Now it's just two. Because you know, Percy either can't or just doesn't talk. He hasn't actually told me that. I'm afraid to ask. He doesn't seem too interested in talking about it, on top of that.

But I could hear the others a table over talking about it. And Leo, the idiot that everyone loves and is annoyed by all at once, suggested something I've never heard of at camp. As of Percy's not talking deal.

What if Percy had a sibling that died. Or a close friend. When you're young, that's the worst thing that can happen aside like your parents dying. Especially, like most demigod's, you only have a few friends in the mortal world because kids don't like us.

So I figured it was a good time to ask. After six years, I think it's safe to ask.

"Hey, Percy." I started off, getting his attention. "Can I ask you something kind of like really personal?"

Percy nodded his head.

"Why uh..." I felt like an asshole asking it, but I wanted to know. "Why don't you talk?"

Percy bit his lip, looking down for a minute. And I instantly regretted my choice.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to," I insisted and he signed, telling me it was fine. He was surprised I waited so long before asking.

I can talk, at least I think I still can. The son of Poseidon explained to me. I'd have to go the voice therapy and what not but I have a voice box. It should work. I just don't anymore. I haven't since I was... 5, 6 years old? Around there. Shit just happens. I started talking less and less until I stopped all together. It worried my mom for a while, but she got used to it. Paul is still getting used to it. But yeah. Shit happens.

Percy shrugged and finished the last of his sub and I knew he probably didn't want to talk about it.

But I did.

"Shit?" I questioned. "Like...? I mean, like I said, you don't have to tell me. I get it."

Again, he insisted it was fine.

I had a big brother. Percy confirmed Leo's theory. From my mom's first marriage. Her husband died before she even net my dad. My brother liked my dad, I guess. He was really cool. And he died. Well, he didn't die. But he's been in a coma for... 12ish years. And that went why I stopped talking. But my mom's husband of the time, Gabe, was close with my brother and this like upset him and he drank more and got mean. Like you know, he abused me. And he always threatened that if I told anyone, he'd kill me. So I just kind of stopped talking. I really didn't have friends to talk to. My brother was gone and I told him everything. Gabe never liked anything that came out of my mouth. So nothing ended up coming out. He's gone. They got divorced after I came here. Met Dad. But still... I don't talk about it a lot. Which I think you kind of figured out. My brother. It's hard when I visit him. I go see him every holiday, his birthday, and then whenever I'm in the mood. He'll be 21 in a few weeks. I'll probably leave here for the day. Go see him. So yeah. Family stuff.

I thought about that, because that was intense. That was extreme. Lose your brother to a coma, your step dad abuses you, and it gets you to the point of not talking.

You can tell people if you want. Percy assured me that it wasn't a huge secret. I don't care. I just never said anything because I was never asked. But I have to meet with Chiron, so I'll see you later.

"Sounds good."

After he left, I joined the others.

"Oh my gods looked at who joined us." Bianca remarked, because I always sit with Percy. "What's up?"

I decided to not say anything.

"Nothing much," I told them. "Percy had to go meet with Chiron. So I came here."