Sign Of The Times

The Revolutionary War - 1776

Matthew held the crying Brit close to him, while the shorter sat curled up on his lap in the mad rain and the mud. He sighed softly and looked at the direction from where his brother came from.

Bastard.

He may be his brother, but he was never going to forgive the bastard for what he has done to Arthur.

The bastard hurt him emotionally and physically, but mostly emotionally. The bastard didn't even care as he left the poor Brit crying and whimpering in the pouring rain and the dirty mud, knowing that the poor man was absolutely terrified of thunder that sometimes went off in the distance.

He was going to strangle his brother.

Why was he still calling him brother, anyway? The man was more of a bastard.

Oh. And Francis. The man who promised to come back for him but never did. The man who absolutely loved to scare and hurt the crying British nation.

He couldn't wait until he could kick their asses to space or into the Pacific Ocean.

God. He really needed to stop thinking about this stuff.

The Canadian shook his head and kissed the Brit's head, shushing him gently before standing up with an ease with Arthur still in his arms. Matthew began walking back home, still thinking about the ways he could beat the shit out of his father and brother.

The Present - 2017

It was that day again.

Arthur's eyes widened and teared up as he looked at the calendar.

The Fourth Of July.

Why did God love torturing him so?

This day always convinced him that he is a horrible parent that let his child go with an ease.

The thought made him fall on his knees and hide his face in his hands as he cried loudly, knowing that he was alone.

Knock, knock.

He didn't hear someone knocking on the door. He didn't hear the doorbell ring either. He also didn't hear the door opening and heavy footsteps walking uo to him.

He did feel arms around him, picking him up, though.

Arthur looked up to see a Canadian gently smiling at him.

The Brit instantly hugged him, choking out sobs and 'thank you's. He felt a tad better that at least someone cared for him and didn't leave him crying in the rain and mud.

Matthew chuckled a tad and carried him to the couch in the living room, sitting down and setting him on his lap comfortably. He kissed his forehead, making the shorter male release him a tad, just enough to look at him as he revealed his crying face.

The Canadian gently wiped away his tears and kissed his forehead.

They looked each other in the eyes before sharing a soft kiss.

When they pulled apart, Matthew smiled and looked at Arthur, gently whispering:

"Just stop your crying, baby, it's the sign of the times."