I'm half sorry

Over the week, I didn't talk to him. I was trying to get my head screwed on tight and figure out my next move. It was Friday night. Lily and I would volunteer in the Library to help tidy it up and put away books. I was at the top of the ladder, down the muggle studies aisle, putting the books back in order, Lily sending up the books.

"You really argued about that!? Maxine, love. I love you but how petty are you two!" She sighed, shaking her head disapprovingly at me.

"I know, I don't know what happened. When we argue, we argue! But we've never fought like that! The last time we mildly argued was 3 months before we finished 6th year and he was mad at me for destroying his last box of cigarettes!" I slowly climbed down the steps and stood beside her.

"I just can't get a read on him. He's a very unusual boy!" Lily folded her arms, her eyes wondering around as she thought things over.

"Tell me about it!" I yawned, parking my bottom on a chair, flicking through one of the books in the pile to put away "What do you see from us Lily, I mean when you see me and him together? Be honest!" I could always count on her to be honest, she couldn't never lie to save her life. Although, she was doing well on keeping this a secret so far.

"Honestly? Well.. I know how you're luck has been with love. You've had 3 boyfriend in total and all have been very similar.... Never have given you excitement BUT seeing you and Black together, as much as you're going to protest with me on this, is probably the most excited I've ever seen you. I saw how giggling you got when he was watching the sleepover. You're mush!" She shook her head, playing with her hair,

"Lily..."

"Let me finish. I can see you falling for him. Him however, may take him sometime." She prodded my knee.

"And why will it take more time for him? Who knows, it could take time for me.. OH FUCK it, we're just friends! we may just see each other on as that" I babbled, tripping over my words. My brain replaying the image of seeing him again on the train... looking stunningly wrong.

"YEAH RIGHT! After you told me about the argument last week, you might as well had 'I'm jealous that you're fucking McKinnon' tattooed on your forehead" Lily whisper shouted, containing her laughter as best as she could.

----//----

Dinner came and went by in a flash, I'm pretty sure I spent the majority of dinner staring at my plate, trying to block out the sound of Marlene's high pitched giggling. It was a lovely laugh sadly, so if anything that irritated me. I looked up and noticed Remus watching me, a gentle smile greeting me. I took a moment to smile back, making a mental note to talk to Remus and get to know him a bit better. He was sweet, when he wasn't corrupted by the other boys.

Lily took my hand and pulled me up before we would get lost in a stampede of students. I felt a hand tug me as soon as we reached the entrance hall, dragging me away and around the corner, out of view from anyone.

"Hey-" A hand covered mine as he pressed me up against a wall, my eyes scrunching shut as a reflex. Slowly removing his palm, and my eyes prying open, I sighed in relief at who kidnapped me.

"Hi" His eyes were bright, his voice excited and his chest puffed out with confidence.

"Oh you're talking to me now?" I laughed a little, trying to pry our physically contact apart slightly, but no such luck. We were practically in a broom cupboard.

"Yes. You've been avoiding me." He pointed out, folding his arms and yet still sounded enthusiastic

"I wouldn't say that, I've just been... constantly occupied!" I grinned, knowing how to wiggling my way out of anything.

"Bollocks" Well... almost everything. "You know that I'm never the first one to apologise but..." He pulled out a cigarette from behind his ear and placed it between his lips, lighting it up "..I'm sorry for that fight." He took a drag and blew it upwards, away from my face. I sent him a glare, knowing that smoking inside, or smoking at all, was forbidden. He rolled his eyes and grinned "Stop glaring. It's cute!"

"Yeah well, I'm half sorry. Do you know why I'm so persistent on keeping... what ever this is, a secret?" I took his cigarette off him, holding it away from him by putting one hand on his chest, pushing him away

"Yesss?" He questioned. He's an idiot.

"I don't mean to sound selfish, but has it ever occurred to you that if it gets out that we're friends, your brother, or god forbid, your psycho cousin tells your mother and father and maybe get my family killed?" My voice went quiet, thinking about how much pain my family already was in. I already felt like a freak of nature, but just knowing someone who's family would kill mine all because of me was enough to drive anyone paranoid. His head dropped, his arms not reaching for his lit cigarette anyone.

"I'm such an asshole.." He muttered, his heavy sighs filling the room. He looked up and pouted at me.

"You're not an asshole... you just didn't think of it..." I laughed a little, finally giving back his cigarette. He took it and stumped it out on the floor immediately, his arms reaching for me and pulled me to his chest.

"Max, serious! What was I thinking! Don't get me wrong, I do still really want hang out with you... and everyone at the same time eventually but you're right. We need to figure out how to get around this issue." He mumbled, swaying us side to side. Merlin, he smelt great.

"Sirius! Let's just.... enjoy being friends for now. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it." I wanted to get out of there, breathe any air that wasn't filled with tobacco smoke.

"Alright Green... meet me tomorrow night yeah? I got a surprise" He winked, shuffling out of the broom cupboard and jogged away after giving me a gentle wave and long stare.

That boy is so confusing...