Chapter 1: Summer Camp Sadness

"Come on Kinter, you're so slow!" Corral complained as she slouched over by the door of the bus, which the driver was holding wide open, waiting for all the kids to go inside. Mrs. Rosse was anxiously flipping through the attendance sheets and scribbling jagged red check marks beside everyone's name as they piled into the bus.

I was indeed very slow, but I couldn't help myself. I had way too much to carry, and had way too much on my mind. How was I going to bond with anyone once I got there? I know summer camp is supposed to be fun and everything, but when three whole classes of your school are coming and you have only one friend out of all the kids who will be there, it doesn't sound as "fun" anymore; especially when you weren't put into the same cabin as your friend.

Corral and I go way back, almost to grade one. I don't understand how she's still friends with me; she's just the kind of person you would see going to all those late-night parties that are hosted at the mansions of those popular kids whose parents went away for a week. I'm just surprised she's still sticking with me.

"Come on already! The bus is gonna leave without ya!" she teased, and pulled on my arm.

I stumbled towards the bus, almost losing my balance and dropping my bag.

"Slow down, jeez." I complained, dragged myself up the little stairs, and went to take my seat. The bus reeked, and there was garbage under all the seats. Everyone had already taken their place and were now deep in conversation with their friends. Corral and I walked down the narrow corridor, and chose an empty seat near the back of the vehicle. The last of the kids entered the bus, Mrs. Rosse rushing in after them to do a quick head count to make sure everyone was here.

"This is gonna to be awesome! It'll be the best week in school history!" Corral cheered beside me, and waved her arms in the air in excitement.

"It sure will be." I said sarcastically, "I'd rather stay at home all week instead."

Corral looked disappointed, "Aw cheer up!" She said, elbowing me playfully, "Maybe you'll meet some new friends! You just gotta open up, y'know?"

"Hmph, easy for you to say, you have tons of friends, and you're my only one." I mumbled back. She looked as if she was going to say something else in return, but hesitated just a second too long, and went quiet. The bus engine roared to life and the wheels started to turn. I leaned back in the old worn-out seat, heaved a sigh, and started counting down the kilometers to my worst week in my school life so far.