Chapter One

It was finally time to leave for her yearly trip.

It was a nice autumn morning, and Blue had finished packing the last of her stuff into her little battered suitcase. She hummed the bright song that was stuck in her head as she made her way down-stairs, struggling to carry her heavy luggage.

Blue strutted into the kitchen, slightly panting at the effort, and was greeted by her grinning mom. Blue marveled at how someone could be so happy in the mornings.

"Good morning Blue! Aren't you excited for your trip?" Her mom chirped.

Blue stared blankly at her overly-happy mother, and broke into smile.

"I am. But why did we have to wake up so early?!" Blue groaned.

Her mother chuckled, "Here, I made you breakfast." Blue frowned at this, her mom could not cook.

She looked down at the plate in front of her, mouth watering at the warm croissant accompanied with a chocolate spread and fresh strawberry slices.

It wasn't the healthiest choice but it was certainly her favourite.

Blue's mom handed her a cup of scalding-hot coffee, and said: "I did not cook that if you're wondering, I went to the cafe." Blue let out a snort at this.

"Did you cut the fruit?" She asked, humour dancing in her eyes.

Blue took a sip from her steaming mug.

"Ha Ha, I did...." Her mom said sarcastically, sticking her tongue out, "Buy it cut." She finished with a mumble.

Blue burst out laughing, shaking her head in disbelief. "Oh shut up." Her mom waved a hand. "Now eat up or the bus will leave you." She chuckled.

Blue quickly started stuffing her face with the juicy red strawberries, taking bites out of her now-cold croissant.

After she finished devouring her breakfast, Blue walked out to her mom's grey Porsche.

A click of the little remote-thingy indicated the car was unlocked. Blue shoved her two suitcases in the back and walked over to sit in the front, a small backpack designated for food perched on her lap.

Her mom got in and started the vehicle, a low roar resonating.

Blue dozed off on the way. Who could blame her? It was way too early to be doing anything.

Before she knew it her mom was shaking her by the shoulders telling her that they've arrived. Blue groaned—a sound much like a wild animal— but opened her eyes anyways. Adjusting her sight to the bright sun, Blue looked around. There was a big, intimidating building right past the high, rusted metal gates. As scary as the building might look, Blue loved the place. It's cold exterior might seem uninviting but the inside was as cozy as can be.

Blue stared out the window as they passed by the gardens. The chrysanthemums had finally bloomed. The beautiful flowers were scattered around the bushes in bunches of yellows and pinks. They looked so out of place. A contrast against the sad grey building.

She opened the car's window and listened. She listened to the rustling of leaves, the sharp cold, wind brushing her face. She missed this.

After driving on the rocky path across the estate, her mom finally pulled over in front of the grey building.

There was a big white bus parked in front of the doors, probably waiting for the kids.

Blue quickly opened her car door, bolting out. Her luggage left forgotten. Her mom yelled after her but Blue ignored her demands, running over to the big, ornate doors.