You poor sod

I sat in the library, studying for our next quiz in Transfiguration. I thought about the feeling of the piano last night and how much I missed it. I absentmindedly gently padded my fingers on the desk as I filled in the paper, my mind drifting off to the music that was pulsing through my hand.

"Excuse me. Max? All the tables are full. Can I join you?" 7th year Ravenclaw stunner and Quidditch beater Jack Baker stood above me, his brown eyes glistening at me. With a lazy smile, I nodded and pushed the chair out with my foot.

"How's things going in Herbology? I see you're paired with McKinnon. You poor sod" He ran his hand back through his hair, pushing it out of his eyes.

"It's going... oh who am I kidding! I don't know what that girls problem is! You partnered with her last year.. what's her problem!" I pouted, resting my head on my arm, looking up at him with puppy dog eyes. He grinned and shook his head.

"Well.. she did have a bad breakup too start off with... she thinks it's your fault but the truth is Aaron did cheat on her.. with a girl that does look a little like you. That's probably the reason why she's acting that way towards you. That and she's just a moody cow in general. Try and talk to her, see if she'll listen to you since you're not Aaron!" He flicked open his text book and looked over at mine to see what I was studying.

Seriously!?... I knew she cut up my skirt because I was partners with Aaron in Potions but she hates me because she thought I was the girl Aaron dumped her for! Why didn't she just ask me. Bitch. I dropped the subject for a while and spent the morning's free period talking and getting to know Jack more. He was insanely gorgeous, smart and honestly, really charming.

"I have an idea?" he leaned forward, shutting my text book and keep his warm eyes on me.

"And what's that?" I blushed, realising now how close we were sitting.

"Perhaps... Go on a date with me?" He grinned. His smile resembled one of Sirius in the way that it was cheeky, playful and hard to resist. I nodded and let out a small giggle, my enthusiasm taking control.

Although I was enjoying my time with Jack, I neglected my sense of time and realised I was late for Transfiguration. Oh Bollocks! Running as fast as I could I rounded to the class room and found Sirius up against the wall besides the door, smoking. Deja Vu!

"What you doing tonight love?" He sucked in a drag. his tower like figure hanging over me. I took his cigarette and stumped it out.

"Going on a date!" I replied casually and out of breath before physically throwing myself into the class room.

----//----

SIRIUS POV

"Going on a date!" She ran into the classroom and slammed the door behind me. I choked, coughing on the smoke drifting around in my lungs. I stared at the door she went through, catching my breath. A date..

In the time that I got to know Max, we never got onto the subject of boys or who she's dating. I had been thinking about Marlene recently and how she acts with in our.. it's not even a damn relationship, I didn't ask her out! She just latched on, started taking me places and I just decided to go along with it. For some strange and unconventional reason, I felt a twang of uncomfortableness when it came to Max. It wasn't that I was uncomfortable with her, I was uncomfortable with the some of the people around her! Was it big brother protection I felt towards her? It can't be, I flirt with her so that would be weird! But why do I still flirt with her...? She told me before that we shouldn't as it would make this complicated, and yet I couldn't stop myself around her. I know it sound like that cliché of 'guy falls for the quiet girl, they fall in love, the popular girl gets jealous' blah blah but somehow it's unfolding that way. I'm not in love with Max! I can't be, I like her definitely, she's the only girl that's ever called me out on my bullshit. I took a slow walk through the castle, talking things over with myself.

I have noticed some differences with Maxine since I met her. I remember in the first month of meeting her, I got to be present for her first detention, I got her in trouble with her best friend and she was so shy. Now? She was a loud mouth little madam, had the body of a goddess and smile that could kill you.... okay those last two things shouldn't of popped into my head but somehow I couldn't help it.

There was one thing that did excite me a little.... her grey eyes matched mine. How unbelievably rare.
I found myself in the library, a place I wouldn't normally tread. I sat at a table, staring at the huge bookcase in front of me and saw a thick Herbology book laying by itself on the table. Frowning, I opened the cover to find the name of the owner. Of course it was Max's! She trails her shit around like breadcrumbs!

I thought back to her words repeating in my head. Why did I I feel so weird about it...I was enjoying her company more and more each day but suddenly the idea of her time being preoccupied by yet another person seemed unfair. Call me a spoiled child but I like being alone with her. She makes me feel more genuine. I also like hearing about how things are with her parents. Of course my relationship with my parents is none existent now. I've been branded out of the family. I'm reminded of it constantly whenever I see my cousin Bellatrix in hallways and classes, as well as my dear baby brother. I've been beaten, sworn at and curse by my own father. The pain I've endured is nothing compared the pain I imagine Max feels when she hears that her fathers cancer is getting worse and worse. I just wish I could carry the load for her, take the pain she feels away. Take the pain away for her father. We haven't met but I hope to meet her parents. They sound like wonderful people from what I've heard from Maxine.

I must of drifted into the state of sleep as I was awoken by the heard of footsteps from students filling up the library. Lessons must of ended and I happened to sleep through the whole thing.

Whoops.