Chapter 1 - Dad?

Jade

I walked to school on the cold November morning. The brisk air chilling my cheeks until they were bright red. I always liked this month. Not because it was my birthday near the end of the month but my love for November was more about the cold.
For some reason, I loved the cold, fresh air on the back of my neck. I loved the frost and the beautiful white snow.
It was all just so perfect until I didn't see a bit of ice while getting caught up in my trail of thought and slipped and fell on my arm.
I quickly got up and brushed myself off, luckily I didn't have to be that embarrassed because no one was there to see me.
I walked more carefully to school and when I get inside, I sighed. Another day of torture.
I walked to my first class of the day. Music. I smiled a little because I loved music. It was my calling, if that makes any sense. I sat in my seat and waited for class to start.
Although, the teacher walked in and looked at me. "Hello, Jade! Mr Mandel wants to see you in his office." She smiled. "I don't know what it's about." She said.
I nodded, with a little smile, and got up, walking, or more waddling, to the principle's office.
I walked in and see my best friend, Clem, crying.
I was ordered to sit and so I did. Mr Mandel told me the shocking news that my mother and Clem's mother were both shot dead at the hospital that my mom was in.
That left Cole, my bigger brother, to look after my little sister who my mom had just gave birth too.
"You, Clem, Cole and your little sister are all going to your father's house." Mr Mandel's said.
"My father is dead." We both said in unison. We looked at each other but weren't in the mood to high five.
"No, your father lives in California." He said and I looked at him confused.