Choch: Competition Entries

“What did she say?”

“She told me to go away.”

“I wonder why.” A chiming laugh followed the sarcastic statement.

“It's not funny, Miranda. You and I, we're completely fucked now. Avery knows. She knows,” Lucy hissed, eyes narrowing at her friend. Miranda stopped laughing, rolling her eyes as she stretched her body over the couch.

“Luce, calm down,” the blonde advised, “It's not like she ran away from you.”

Lucy glanced away, closing her eyes to stop her rapidly appearing tears from falling. “No, she didn't. She did something worse. She stopped trusting me.”

–---------------------

Avery grinned, her hand clutching tightly at Lucy's trembling one. She tugged gently on it, forcing the older girl to stop and face her. Worry lined her forehead, and Avery's grin slowly faded away. Lucy pulled her hand from Avery's grip.

“L-Lucy? What's wrong?” She knew this would happen. Lucy didn't want to be with her anymore, she was a secret the girl wasn't willing to keep for so long. The brunette looked her in the eyes, and Avery could see the fear and panic she was holding back. She wanted to step forward and hug her, but she knew it probably wouldn't help.

“Ave,” Lucy began, her voice shaking, “I have something I need to tell you. I've been keeping this from you for a while, and I think it's time you know. But it might make you look at me differently.”

That was a bit relieving – it didn't sound like the start of a break-up speech, that was for sure. “Whatever it is, you can tell me. I won't judge you.”

“Yes, yes, you will, actually. That's the problem.”

“I doubt you can do anything to make me love you any less,” Avery reassured. She saw her girlfriend swallow and shake her head before backing away a few steps. She looked after her curiously, her eyebrows furrowing.

“I'm so sorry for keeping everything from you, but you need to know that I would never hurt you.”

Confusion erupted in Avery's mind, and it only intensified when Lucy put her arms out to her sides, palms facing away from her, and closed her eyes. A slight hum started up around the pair of them, growing louder each passing second. When it seemed like Avery was now hearing the roar of a truck hurtling towards them, it stopped. But it wasn't a truck, not in any sense of the word. No, it was definitely not.

Lucy was standing on air.

That's what it looked like, anyway, because she was simply floating, her arms still outstretched.

Avery staggered backwards, her breath caught in the midst of a scream that got sucked away in fear. “No no no no no.”

“Avery, please,” Lucy called out from above, and her voice seemed to make the air ripple around her. Avery shook her head vigorously, preferring to continue backing away, unable to process what was happening. There was a single, fleeting moment of gravity pulling her down as her foot caught on a rock, and then darkness overwhelmed her.

When Avery finally woke up, she was in her bedroom, and it was night outside. Lucy was perched on the end of her bed, watching her concernedly. Avery scrambled against the bedhead, refusing to go near the girl, who suddenly looked hurt.

“I'm sorry, Ave, I didn't-”

“Go away.”

A hitched breath. “What?”

“Go away, Lucy. Go away. I can't see you. I can't trust you right now. I need you to go away.”

Avery stubbornly resisted looking at her girlfriend, knowing her resolve would crumble if she did. She felt the bed bounce as Lucy got up and moved towards the doorway. There was a small pause, but then the door slammed shut, and Avery collapsed into her pillow, allowing her sobs to come freely.

She had no idea what she was meant to do now.