1/1

Her eyes were fixated upon the almost blank word document that was displayed on the screen of her laptop. People came and left the café but still she was unable to form a single sentence other than the title. The empty coffee cup sat beside her on the table, she needed a refill but was too lazy to get up from where she was sitting to walk all the way to the counter in order to buy a new one. She should really finish – or rather, start this article that she was meant to finish by the end of this week yet somehow, her brain seemed to like the idea of failing her whenever she needed it the most.

“‘The One’, huh? You still write articles for the magazine, Camila?”

A voice from behind startled her; she quickly sat upright with a jolt and turned to meet eyes with familiar friendly ones.

“Ally!” She exclaimed, grinning from the pleasant surprise of meeting her old time friend here in this café. Ally showed no signs of aging although her hair was now long and brown compared to the short and blonde hair Camila was used to seeing in the past. “Oh my god, how long has it been!? How are you?”

“It’s been a while, huh, Mila?” Ally grinned back, sliding into the seat opposite Camila.

“It’s so great to see you again! Have you been well? What are you doing here? How was Texas? How are things with Troy?”

Ally laughed, “Slow down, Mila! One question at a time.”

“Sorry.” Camila smiled, “I got so excited when I saw you that I just wanted to see how you were doing.”

“I’ve been great, Troy and I are on vacation here in California but he’s visiting some of his relatives at the moment so I decided to take a look around town to see if anything’s changed.”

“Nothing has, unfortunately.”

“Nope, everything’s pretty much the same since Troy and I left for Texas.” Ally said, “I’m surprised you still live here. I thought you left for Miami?”

“I decided to stay.” Camila said softly, smiling to herself. ‘Because of her.’

“I see.” Ally chuckled, “So what’s this article you’re supposed to be writing about then? ‘The One’?”

“Oh, my supervisor wanted something refreshing about young love or something, you know, when you find ‘The One’” Camila made air quotation marks, “Personally, I find it cheesy and I’m stuck on what to write.”

“I’m sure ideas will come to you after a while, they always do.”

“I hope so.” Camila let out a small smile.
“In other news, I heard from Dinah that you have a girlfriend now!” Ally suddenly exclaimed, “Is it true!?”

“Yeah.” Camila blushed at the thought of her beautiful girlfriend. “Her name’s Lauren Jauregui.”

“Cuban girl?” Ally raised an eyebrow, “I guess you Cubans have to stick together.”

“She moved to California when she was 9.”

“Nice. How did you guys meet?”

“At a bookstore.” Camila giggled at the memory, “She was trying to reach for this book that happened to be on the shelf above me and it slipped and fell on my head.”

“Uh…” Ally gave her a weird look, “Why do you look so happy about the fact that she almost gave you brain damage?”

“Well, of course I was a little bit annoyed at the time but she treated me to dinner later that day to make up for it.”

“So food as an apology for the damaged brain.” Ally smirked, “Nice.”

Camila shrugged, “She apologised a few times during dinner.”