This Stupid Thing Called Quidditch

The sky was leaden that morning: big clouds, some dark and some more likesoft cream, covered the sky above the Quidditch field. Little and violent drops rattled on the soft ground and great wind gusts ruffled violently Sherlock Holmes's fluffy curls, who was wrapped in an orange blanket.

On that day there was the Quidditch match, Slytherin vs Ravenclaw, and the stands were as crowded as never before.

Sherlock had decided to sit on the last row of the stands and he brought with him the book of 'The Quidditch Through the Ages'. The boy wasn't a great lover of the Quidditch and he couldn't figure out how it was possible for thousands of people to be eager to see other people playing with a flying ball.

The only reason for him to go to see the matches was John, John Watson, the only person who really counted for him. Even the most boring and useless sport in the world like the Quidditch became something wonderful with John.

Both the boys were in the last year at Hogwarts with the only difference that Sherlock was a Hufflepuff and John was a Slytherin.

The wind and rain were so violent that Sherlock could barely hear, in the distance, Lee Jordan's voice, who was the commentator of the match.

«...and the Quaffle is intercepted by Paul Marshall, Slytherin... no! Rufus Greeks, Ravenclaw, took him to flight... he was approaching the door and... ANOTHER TEN POINTS TO RAVENCLAW!»

After a second, the crowd rose in an united voice and Sherlock heard a series of indistinct sounds: there were applauses, whistles, there was who laughed and who was screaming 'Go, go Ravenclaw'.

Sherlock gave a bored sigh and pulled his wand out of his pocket. Then he said in a low voice 'Impervious' and he bent under his woolen cover, reading the book that John had lent to him. It was terribly boring, but John had read it and Sherlock always felt a certain perverse pleasure knowing that John had done a certain thing.

«Jill Tresm, Ravenclaw, takes the Quaffle and she's moving toward a wall formed by Slytherin Chasers. She pretends to go down to the ground and so they follow her but, suddenly, the girl passes the ball to Mike Johnson, Ravenclaw, who...oh no! Watson is hunting the Golden Snitch»

As soon as he heard that name, Sherlock took off the blanket in a rushand he stood up, ready to see John's moves.

A few seconds later, he saw his blonde friend. John was wearing theSlytherin robe and, with his rebel quiff on his forehead, he was drenched but determinate. He was zigzagging among the Chasers, looking for the notorious Golden Snitch. Sherlock hadn't the slightest idea of what shape and color it had.

«Hey, Watson, you're invading the camp! Go training for the ballet on the other side!» screamed Lee Jordan in a very enraged way, knocking the microphone on the railing, producing a strident sound that calmed the people who started to be upset.

Sherlock began to follow John with his gaze; his broom was so fast that, with those weather conditions, it was almost impossible to see what he was doing. When Lee Jordan calmed down, he resumed the commentary but immediately a thunder interrupted him again. It was at that moment that Sherlock began to fear for John, who was there, alone and desperate, at various feet from the ground, with the Ravenclaw Seeker behind him.

«Stop the game, for God's sake!» shouted Sherlock, searching for John, somewhere in the storm.

«Hey, mate, if you're afraid of the rain, shut up or piss off » said acidly a girl who was sitting beside him.

«It's dangerous to be outdoors when there's a thunderstorm! They have to st-»

«No, Dumbledore has already taken the right precautions. Nothing dangerous will happen»