Chapter 1

Merlin heard the clatter of hooves as he jogged towards the cobblestone courtyard. Sir Leon and four other knights were returning from a journey to the eastern portion of Camelot to deal with bandit raiders near the eastern villages. There were already stable grooms ready at the base of the stone steps awaiting the horses, but Merlin just wanted to welcome his friends home.

He had to admit, it had been a little dull around the castle with the five knights gone these last seven days. Despite the trouble they--by 'they', Merlin meant 'Gwaine and sometimes Percival'--caused, they were good to have around. It had been seven days without Gwaine always coming up with new jokes to tell or pranks to pull, without Percival's invaluable help in their execution, and, of course, Elyan and Leon covering up their tracks.

Not to say Merlin hadn't been busy the past week; Arthur took care of that. The king ensured hours of chores and errands for his manservant, and this hadn't changed. Right now, in fact, he was supposed to go to the kitchens to retrieve the king's shirts.

Merlin arrived beside the stablehands as the first horse came around the bend in the road that led out of the citadel and into the lower towns. It was Percival, followed by three riderless horses, and Bors bringing up the rear of the caravan. Merlin's brow furrowed in confusion and worry. Where were Elyan, Leon, and Gwaine? Judging by the whisperings and cocked heads of the stablehands, they were as confused as Merlin was.

The train of horses came to a halt before the line of grooms, who each quickly took the reigns of a horse. Merlin went over to Percival. To some degree, his mind eased when he saw that Percival looked more or less himself. If something terrible had happened to one or more of the other knights, Merlin knew he would not be this calm.

"Percival, what happened to the others?" he asked the tall knight still atop his horse. He could see now that Percival was cradling two red bundles--the red cloaks all the knights wore.

Percival bent down, offering the two bundles to Merlin. "'old these, Merlin. Do not drop them."

Still confused, Merlin took the two bundles, and immediately let out a yelp of surprise when he saw what they were: from each of the red cloaks protruded a small, round head, belonging to children no older than two years of age. One was asleep, its tiny hand involuntarily fingering one of the light brown curls drooping over its forehead. The other was far from tired. Its gleaming brown eyes were darting here and there, taking in every inch of its surroundings.

"Percival--" Merlin began as the other dismounted his horse.

"It's alright, there's an explanation, believe me," the knight answered, relieving Merlin of the brown-eyed child, who made a happy noise.

Bors had walked over to join the other two, carrying yet a third child, this one with dark skin and black hair. This one, while not asleep, was considerably more docile than the one in Percival's arms, who kept wriggling as if trying to get away.

"Hello, Merlin," Bors said with a smile. "How's Camelot?"

"Uh . . . " Merlin said, still taken aback by the unconventional return of the two knights. "Well, it's, uh . . . still standing?"

Bors smiled, his grey eyes sharing the expression. "I think we can see that, Merlin."

Merlin nodded. "Right." He paused, but could no longer contain himself. "I'm sorry, but what are you two doing back with three toddlers, and where are Leon, Elyan, and Gwaine?"

Before the two could answer, the child in Percival's arms wriggled free of the red folds surrounding it, dropped to the cobblestones, and took off. 'Took off' here having the meaning of teetering away in a vaguely forwards direction.