Like an old married couple

Another month passed and I embraced the change. I was hopelessly in love with Jack, I made time for Sirius to spend time together and I was starting to get a lot with James and Remus a lot more too! Peter however was still a bit off. I was embracing bad times and turning it into something promising. Lily and I were in the middle of having a giggle fit in the great hall, as Jack and Sirius were having a heated debated about their favourite Quidditch team. I caught myself blushing at the pair of them, suddenly realising how similar they were in looks, personality and attitude, the only difference was that Jack was insanely intelligent. I stopped laughing and looked at Lily, my stomach churning and feeling bad. She took a while to get there but picked up on the vibe I was dishing out.

"Woah... how did I not notice that before." She whispered, gasping slightly.

"I know... fuck! What is wrong with me!" I covered my face. Alice was watching us, her eye brows frowned and suspicious. She got up and ask us to follow her. Reluctant to do so, Lily pulled me along and we vacated to the entrance hall.

"Something's going on and I'm not involved. Not impressed." Alice huffed, turning on her detector attitude.

"Yes or no?" Lily muttered to me. Oh it's going to come out eventually. I gave a big sigh and nodded.

"Right well..."

"Miss Green" the mellow and captivating voice of Professor Dumbledore interrupted us, gracing us with his presence. I blinked and felt my heart dropped. No... no no please...

"Yes professor" my voice shook. I felt this sudden aura of despair and sadness radiate around us.

"May you come join me in my office please?". That was it. It was time...

----//----

I saw her standing in his office, her face red and blotchy, shaking, weak, fragile and broken

"Mum" I ran to her and we took each other in embrace and that's were we flatlined. The sobbing never stopped, the pain was almost never ending, and the most important man in my life wouldn't never be there to talk to me, never be there to play piano with me, never be able to meet the people most important to me and never said I love you carrot top ever again.

"Oh baby, I miss him so much" she sobbed, cradling me as she rocked us. I couldn't talk, all I could do was choke and struggle to breathe. Dumbledore's consoled us, giving us gentle words of comfort and helped ease the pain. In time, I was strong enough to say goodbye to my mother and would be seeing her later this week anyway... sadly for unfortunate circumstances.

I slide through the dark the halls, floating around, still trying to ground myself of what happened.
The common room portrait saw the state of me and let me in without hesitation.

"Max!! There you ar..." Remus began and stopped, his eyes widening. His put his hand on my shoulders and bend his tall body down to look me in the eyes.
I looked over his shoulder and saw everyone gathered around, looking concerned. I caught Sirius eyes and his face dropped.

"Max.." he began, everyone looked at him. Never had his called me by my first name in front of them all. Remus let me go and turned to look at Sirius.
"..no" he sighed, catching on to why I was in this state after seeing Dumbledore. I let out a heart wrenching and pain filled cry, reaching for him like a small girl crying for her father. I was. I wanted him back. Sirius sprinted across the room and took me tight into arms, pushing my hair back as my tears soaked up on his shirt.

"Wait what?"

"Padfoot mate!!!"

"Oh my god!"

"Are you fucking kidding!!!"

This is what I feared. The different reactions of my peers. Especially the out cry from McKinnon.

"I got here as fast I could!" I heard the sound of my boyfriend behind me, no doubt Lily informing to come.
"What's going on? Max, why is Black hugging you!" His tone was suddenly defensive. I continued to cry and sobs

Sirius turned us around so my back was to everyone and he was able to address them all.

"Everyone shut up for a second. Don't you dare start getting all funny about this." I squeezed his torso tighter, hiding my face. I wasn't expecting our announcement to come out due to my need for my friend to hold me and tell me everything was going to be okay. "Truth is that Maxine and I have been friends since 6th year. I spoke to her, well annoyed her, at the beginning of the year and we kept it a secret because you muppets put ideas in her head that we don't make sense as friends. We make bloody perfect sense for fuck sake." His voice was hard, shaking as if the pain from me was radiating through his body.

"Why is Max crying?" Jack suddenly spoke up, his voice quiet which was unusual. Sirius tilted his head down, quietly whispering for permission. I nodded against his chest and squeezed him tight.

"This is a very sensitive matter." He cleared his throat and hearing the cracks. He was trying not to cry too. Sirius never gets to meet my dad now... I cried even harder.
"In the time I got to know her.. she confided in me about a subject that she hasn't told anyone about, perhaps maybe Evans. Maxine's father has cancer and from the state that she is in now, I can now confirm that he is no longer with us" he was trying his hardest, he was trying to hold back. He let me go gently and looked at me before I was passed on to Jack whom showered my cheeks with kisses and held me close to him. He nodded to Sirius as a thank you. Secretly, I wanted to go back to Sirius but I was showered in hugs and apologies from everyone.. including Marlene.

"Max... it does hurt, but the pain will grow into a shining memory. It did for me when my mum passed before I came to this school" she muttered quietly, pushing some hair back from my eyes. It was a connection that made the hatred she had for me disappear. She understood and we had common ground suddenly. James and Lily showered me in hug, Remus pulled out all the chocolate he had and Peter, bless him tried to put on a show of tricks to ease the pain for a few minutes, take the tears away for a while. Once knowing I was okay, Jack had to retreat back to his common room before curfew. Things felt different all of a sudden, like there was an unspoken tension.

"So. You guys know now. Spit it out." My voice was hoarse from the hours of sobbing. I looked around at everyone but the ones I was more concerned for was James, Alice and Marlene.

"I uh... do you guys ever argue?" James' smirked, looking back and forth between myself and his best friend.

"Like an old married couple" Lily piped in, smirking as she winked at Sirius, whom looked at me with shock.

James fist pumped; he loved it when we argued for some reason! "You'd make a good couple!" He shrugged casually, putting his arm around Lily carefully.

"Woah! She's with Baker!" Sirius quickly protested, eyes wide and head shaking faster than speeding car

"PSH! You're sexier" James snorted, pulling a face at the thought of Jack. Harsh!

"Aww thanks baby cakes" Sirius squeaked

"Anytime princess" James blew a kiss. One things for sure; they were really cheering me up.

"If you two are finished!! So, what about Black's parents! What if his brother finds out or his cousin." Alice gushed, her face panicking again. She really was always such a fuss pot!

"We know... We'll sort it out" Sirius took my hand and squeezed. I must of been so zoned out because I didn't hear a thing or felt his hand. My mind was still stuck on James saying we looked good as a couple....