[1/1]

Lauren Jauregui always kept a pen on her.

It was a black ink joy gel pen (one of her favorites) and she took it everywhere.

She took it to the store, to the movie theaters, to each and every class, even to exam days where pens weren't a requirement. It didn't matter - wherever she went, there was a pen with her.

All that mattered was that alike everyone else in society, Lauren had the tattoo of her soulmate's first words engraved on her wrist. Just five simple words.

Do you have a pen?

It was such a simple thing to the naked eye, but to her, this question meant everything. She watched entirely too many movies to know that her soulmate was someone she would be with forever. They were going to be her best friend, her lover, even her partner in crime. The two were practically tailored for each other!

The only problem was, most of the kids in Lauren's class found their soulmates in grammar school. She was sure that she was the only one who didn't know hers, which was strange considering the fact that she read on a website one day that your soulmate is often in close proximity with you - you're just unaware of each other. There were even stories of your soulmate living ten to fifteen minutes away from you.

So, the brunette kept a watchful eye all year long for a sign of urgency. Maybe she wasn't the only one missing her soulmate. Maybe there was one more person, and that person would be her soulmate, no questions asked!

But when a tall, boisterous blonde transferred into her photojournalism class halfway into the year, there was nothing more that made her skin crawl.

Lauren hated Dinah Jane Hansen with a passion. She was everything that Lauren wasn't.

Tall. Loud. On the basketball team. And strong.

Even as she thought about it, the blonde was sitting across the room facing sideways in her desk so she could boast about her latest conquest with a cheerleader.

"And she tasted so fucking good, like her thighs were so thick, and y'all know I love a girl with thick thighs."

Lauren could feel a sense of warmth rise to her face. She hoped she wasn't turning dangerously red as she focused on her own photo journal, sealing in a Polaroid she took last night in an abandoned house with her sister Taylor.

The teacher, Mrs. Brady, was an eclectic person with a huge love for the supernatural and weird. So when she'd given the class an assignment for Halloween to take a picture in an environment that gives you a sense of uncertainty, Lauren jumped the gun.

Most kids ignored her, but not Lauren. She absolutely adored having the woman as a teacher, and even more, she adored her personality.

"Okay," The aforementioned lady called out, gaining the attention of the class. There was still voices lingering, and it made Lauren's blood boil that it was coming from Dinah's area. The girl never shut up. "If you haven't finished your entry from yesterday's assignment, please do so now. I will be collecting this for a grade."

Many okay's traveled the room, mostly coming from Dinah's side.

No one understood her hatred for the girl.

It ran deep. Ice in your veins type deep. And as much as she could provide reasons, Lauren was never ashamed to admit she didn't really know why.

Dinah has never spoken to her once nor cared to ever acknowledge her existence. The only reason the Latina is aware of her at all is because even though she was only a point guard on the basketball team, she was also the only out gay girl in school. So all eyes were on her, whether it was in gym in those tight shorts that showed off her toned legs, or in class where she wore crop top sweaters to accentuate her golden skin and curvy figure.

She was beautiful - something the brunette would never be caught dead admitting out loud.

And meanwhile, Dinah's crew were still telling stories. It was up to her best friend Normani who, bless her soul, had the sweetest voice on earth and talent that was almost angelic. Lauren would always be excited for school talent shows just to see the black woman do a rendition of any song she deemed fit. She killed them all. And right now, she was currently telling a story about an experience at Camp Flog Gnaw.

Lauren took one of her pens out her bag - her favorite blue ballpoint - and got to describing the picture she arranged in full detail. She even included how Taylor tried to convince her that it was a murder house, like the first season of American Horror Story. There was zero way for Lauren to be scared, however. She absolutely loved anything of that nature.

Before she could continue, she felt a tap on her shoulder. And when she turned around, out fell the words she was destined to hear.

"Do you have a pen?"

She was glancing into beautiful amber brown eyes that belonged to the worst person. And right now, they looked back at her with humor swimming through them and the sloppiest grin upon their face. She didn't care to repeat because she knew the Latina had heard her.

The burning sensation on her wrist was there to prove it.

Lauren looked down in horror, her wrist turning red as the words began to disappear from its midst. Before she could comprehend it, she began rushing her pen over her wrist attempting to rewrite the words that were now history.

But to no avail, the deed was done. And now that she was looking into the eyes of her soulmate, she knew that her life was going to change for good.

"Oh, hell no."