Chapter 1

Aquamarine was on her way to finishing her final lap. "Demayo!" The coach yelled. "Remember, swim straight!" Aquamarine struggled to swim straight. "Try, Demayo, try!" Aquamarine closed her eyes, that usually helped. But moments later, she crashed in to wall of the pool once she reached the end.

"Ow!" She had scraped her arm, and it was bleeding. She tried to force herself not to cry, but a tear fought its way out of her eye. Aquamarine hoped that nobody could tell the difference between the tears and the water. After all, she was soaking wet.

"Demayo!" The coach called. "Y-Yes, Coach Holly?" Coach Holly shook her head and said, "you're slacking, Demayo. You haven't made any progress this, or last month. I'm going to have to tell your mother." Aquamarine froze. She knew there wasn't any point in arguing with her, so she just replied with; "yes, Coach."

One of Aquamarine's classmates and a girl on the swim team held the door open for everyone and smiled. But after everyone went through, she gave Aquamarine a dirty look and closed the door on her when Coach Holly wasn't looking. Aquamarine looked down and opened the door.

She sisters, Spinel and Azurite, were waiting for Aquamarine in their mother's car. Both Spinel and Azurite were older than her by two years.

Hey sis," Spinel said, greeting Aqua. "How was swim practice?" "Yeah!" Azurite chimed in. Aquamarine shrugged and said, "I dunno. It was fine, I guess." Spinel and Azurite gave each other a worried look. "That's what she always says, Az," Spinel said, worriedly. "I know," said Azurite, looking Spinel right in the eyes. "Do you think something's wrong?" "Maybe, should we tell mom?" "No!" Spinel said suddenly, but blushed when she realized how loud she was.

Aquamarine got into the car and sat down. "What's wrong?" She muttered, buckling up. "N-nothing, right, Az?" "Right," Azurite began, "we would tell ya if something was wrong." Aquamarine shyly nodded and stayed quiet through the rest of the trip home.

Aquamarine was the first one out of the car, but because she has to grab her bag from the back, she was the last one in the house. Aquamarine put her bag in her room upstairs, and grabbed a couple of books, and headed out the door, but was stopped by her mother, Tourmaline.

"Did you finish your homework?" She asked, knowing where her daughter was headed of to. Aquamarine was about to say yes, but then remembered science, which she was going to to her friends house to get help with, which her mother didn't like, since she wanted her to do the work herself unless she was assigned to a partner. Aquamarine hid her science books under her jacket.

"Y-Yes, I-I did," she fibbed. Her mother went back to what she was doing, and Aquamarine grabbed the keys wen she wasn't looking and slipped out the door.