a promise like a prophecy, fufilled after heartbreak

Kurapika clenched and unclenched his fists repeatedly. God- he hated when he'd have to do this, he hated when he'd have to get blood on his hands, he hated seeing them struggle in pain and confusion as they were stricken with his bokken-
hated seeing the blood splatter
the life being drained
But he knew he had to do it.
He had a goal and he wasn't stopping at anything to avoid it. He was going to collect all the scarlet eyes, collect the last bits of family he ever had.
And say goodbye to them, once more.
Plus- he was use to killing at this point, but hopefully he'd get out before he'd have to take another life.
And that takes us to where we are now,
Kurapika impatiently grabbed his bokken and tucked it safely away in a silver colored satchel he had slung over his shoulder. The blonde was dressed in his normal attire, white pants with a white shirt along with his blue and gold tabard; his single scarlet earring dangled from his left ear as he trekked through the forest.
Today he wasn't getting the eyes from an important mafia artist, or a mob boss, or a criminal, or a- well you get the point. No, he was not stealing the eyes from either of those occupations, he had planned to steal them from a desolate cabin in the woods. These eyes were received by a nice family as a gift, or so he had heard. It was night now and the blonde walked ever so slowly, he didn't want to wake the people who may have still lingered inside. Cautiously, he enabled his Zetsu and walked further on.
He looked up to see the cabin, it was fairly big- bigger than most cabins actually. Now that he really looked at it... it was a house. A large wooden house.
Kurapika bit his lip and slowly entered said house. He always used his bokken as a weapon rather than his chains when doing this, he couldn't use his chains for if he were to pierce someones' heart, he'd suffer the consequences instead seeing as how none of the people he had to fight against were of the Phantom Troupe.
The blonde looked around the room, if he had heard correctly then, the family was on vacation at the moment, an easy steal, no problem for mafia hero Kurapika.
And yet, the blonde was jumped.
A merciless scratch was delivered to his side, making the blonde have to catch his breath. As he struggled to summon his holy chain to heal himself he caught a glimpse of the person- no, man who had gave him the blow. He had brown hair and eyes that no longer had light in their pupils. Kurapika narrowed his own eyes and pulled his bokken out of its wooden sheath.
Someone else had come to take the eyes too...
Kurapika gracefully leaped at the brunette and slashed his leg with his bokken; in the process, Kurapika got a full glimpse of this stranger's weapon- a bokken, just like his, now stained with his own blood.
The brunette finally spoke as he looked at Kurapika "What're you doing here anyway?" He had spat
Kurapika noticed the man had the Scarlett eyes in his arms to which Kurapika responded by tensing up. He looked at the dark haired boy and gave a soft growl "I'm after those" he gestured towards the eyes.
The brunette looked offended and kicked Kurapika in his stomach region. Kurapika fell onto the floor and before he could even process what had just happened, the stranger pushed the tip of his bokken to Kurapika's neck. Kurapika's own Bokken now lay forgotten on the farther side of the room, out of his reach.
Great
He was going to die such a pitiful death, amirite?-
The brunette pushed the bokken slightly further in, not so much as to kill but enough to bleed. He had Kurapika pinned to the floor with one hand and he maliciously growled out, "What the hell would you want with these?" The eyes were now on the floor, just out of Kurapika's reach. Not that he could get them anyway, with the situation he was in.
Kurapika didn't look up "that's really none of your business."
The man pushed the bokken farther in and slid it downwards so that it slashed Kurapika's chest, straight down the middle. "It really is my business, Yours to answer, especially when your life is on the line"
Kurapika wanted to blurt his infamous slogan of revenge and non existent fear of death but hey- give the guy some slack, he really couldn't when he had two fatal cuts gushing blood out. Kurapika noted that the man was really not harmed when he had slashed his leg, he seemed to have already had a limp and it had unfazed the brunette.
Kurpaika choked and coughed, now on all fours with blood seeping out the wounds.
The brunette stood up and scoffed "pathetic" before he kicked Kurapika again and walked back towards the Scarlett eyes. "I'm sure the family that lives here wouldn't mind a dead body as a new rug, I'll leave and let you suffer- like honestly! These are the eyes of someone who was tortured mercilessly, and for what?- to be put on display?! Disgusting!" The brunette was about to go on a full rant about how the Kurtas deserved more until Kurapika raised his head.
His eyes weren't gray this time. They burned scarlet.
"How d-dare you.. Come here... and speak of this clan as though you had felt their pain- do you know what it's like to see everyone you cared and loved about just perish? It's awfu-" The blonde started choking again
The brunette's almost sightless eyes widened as he saw the blonde's scarlet ones.
"Hey... What are you anyway?.."
Kurapika was a bit confused by the question, he was trying to summon his holy chain but he collapsed to the floor. His nen had been going wonky lately... strange. "How am I supposed to answer that?" He queried
The brunette didn't answer but he stepped forward. Kurapika inched back.
"Your eyes... they're.. they're scarlet.. I thought they were all dead.."
Kurapika tilted his head "thought wh-who were al-all dead?" He said in between coughs- God, he lost way more blood than he should've. He felt so pathetic- had he really depended this much on his nen?
Kurapika didn't hear the brunette's response- if there ever even was one because he collapsed onto the floor, the bleeding had slowed but it was still flowing, like a lazy river of some sort.
-XXX-
Kurapika lay in a strange bed, it was fairly different from the couch he'd sleep on at Leorio's apartment. It was comfy and the smell gave him some sort of nostalgia.
Where was he anyway?
Kurapika shifted a bit and opened his eyes, he tried to identify his surroundings but all he could tell was that he was in a dimly lit room. The room would've been pitch black if not for the scarlet eyes he'd tried to steal earlier. The eyes lay on the nightstand next to Kurapika.
Kurpaika finally noticed that his wounds had been bandaged.
But by who?
Kurapika groaned, he felt so weak from losing so much blood.
"Oh thank god you're awake.." a voice spoke
Kurapika shot his head up and stiffened. "Where am I?" He was clearly still hostile- I mean, the boy could've been killed! And now he was in a strange place with a stranger he knew nothing about- pFFT- not that death scaREd him anyway
The stranger walked closer and Kurapika wasn't surprised to see it was the brunette from earlier. Kurapika backed up on the bed.
Kurapika, still weak from the fight laid his head back down on the bed. He felt like he could sleep for days.
The brunette kneeled beside the mattress. "Shi- God I'm sorry.. I didn't know you... you were a kurta.."
"What does that have to do with anything?.." Kurapika could see the brunette's eyes were red, no not scarlet but red. He must've been crying.
Crying?.. Kurapika thought
The brunette stood up completely. "What's your name then?"
Kurapika tilted his head a bit. "My.. name?- Honestly, you try to kill me and you want my name?"
The brunette was unfazed by the snarky comment just like he had been with the new limp Kurapika gave him "Yes"
Kurapika turned onto his other side so his back was facing the stranger. "Kurapika" he grunted
The brunette wheezed a bit "K-Kurapika?-"
"Mhm" honestly, what was this guy's problem?
The brunette looked at Kurapika with sadness in his gaze "I-is it... is it really you?.."
Kurapika turned around and sat up straight "What do you mean by that?"
The brunette looked down and wiped tears that tried to swell from his eyes onto his sleeve.
"Do you remember me?.."
Now that Kurapika thought about it, the stranger did look vaguely familiar... those eyes... the hair..... his limp....
Realization hit the blonde as he sat up straighter "Pairo?.."
The brunette's eyes lit up and he slowly pulled Kurapika into an embrace.
Kurapika felt the brunette's- no, Pairo's tears fall down onto his head. Kurapika instantly returned the embrace and snuggled his face up against Pairo's chest.
How long had he wanted this?
To see his best friend after all these years.
To see that he wasn't dead, that he was still out there somewhere
To know that he still cared...
Pairo was a taller than Kurapika now. He really would've never guessed it was the brunette who had tried to kill him but now it didn't seem so far fetched.
Kurapika looked up at Pairo. "I'm so sorry for this... I really didn't know it was you.. I.. I.."
"Pairo, I'm fine.."
Pairo sat down in the bed, next to Kurapika, and ran his hand up the blonde's hair. He pulled it to the side and gently collided their lips. He wanted to see the blonde for so long- he had loved him deeply all these years.
And maybe
His affections weren't one sided
Anyone would've thought so with Kurapika's reaction
Kurapika slowly parted his slips and let Pairo's tongue enter his mouth.
Things were going to be better from now on.
Because the two could finally be 'together forever', just like they had promised, all those years ago.