The Hamilton-Burr Duel

Aaron's eyes bulged and his gaze went down, staring with wide eyes as red began to coat violet. He coughed, blood splattering on the ground before falling to his knees. His second rushed to him, grabbing his shoulders, shaking.

Hands grabbed him, pain seared in his side. Aaron coughed again, tears welling up. He looked to the side just in time to see Hamilton stare at him for a moment before his second ushered him away.

After that, his consciousness came and went.

Yells filled his ears, lulling into a gentle buzz. He faintly heard the sound of screams to move faster and what sounded to be the splashing of water.

He then heard horses and more shouts. He felt confused. Why was everyone shouting? Why did he feel so exhausted?

"Don't think he'll make it..."

"Bullet punctured..."

Aaron groaned, shuddering violently. Pain flared up and he cried out, tears falling from his eyes.

Hurts! It hurts!

Behind the ringing in his ears, Aaron could make out a door slamming open.

"FATHER!" Someone sobbed.

Aaron recognized the voice immediately. His eyes instantly flew open and he watched with blurry eyes as his daughter, his beautiful, kind daughter rushed to him.

"T-Theodosia..." He stammered.

With a sob, she fell to her knees, clutching his hand that lay on his chest.

"Father!" She sobbed, squeezing his hand painfully. She turned to the doctor who was hovering beside her.

"DOCTOR, IS HE GOING TO SURVIVE THIS?" Tears streamed down her face and broken sobs escaped her mouth. Aaron didn't see the doctor shake his head sadly. All he knew was that his little girl was crying. Why was she crying?

He squeezed her hand tightly and her head turned back to him. He raised his other hand, placing it on her cheek. Her free hand flew to his, clutching it and rubbing her cheek against it.

His hand shook violently as he tried to wipe her tears away. She was crying so much. He didn't like it when she cried.

"My d-dear Theo... Theodosia..." He whispered, managing to wipe a few tears.

Theodosia sobbed, pressing her face against his hand.

"P...Please don...don't c-cry..." He stammered out. His little girl was crying. He didn't like seeing her cry, it broke his heart.

"Father you were... you..."

"I'm s-sorry..." He said, tears of his own spilling from his eyes.

"Who did this?" She demanded, eyes filled with tears, with anger. "They won't get away! I'll, I'll-!"

Theodosia cut herself off with a sob and she clung to her father, not caring about the blood that was getting on her dress.

"I remember... I would sing to y-you." He said, singing ever so slightly. His voice wobbled but he put on a brave smile. He could feel himself getting weaker.

"S-Sing to you..." Theodosia sang back, almost in a whisper. Aaron smiled gently, brushing her hair out of her face.

"You have c-come of age with our y-young nation..." His voice shook. He was so tired. Theodosia sobbed.

"S-Someday you'll blow u-us all... away..." He coughed, feeling the taste of blood in his mouth.

"B-Blow us all away..." Theodosia clung to her father.

"Someday... some da..."

Theodosia's eyes widened. "Someday...?" She whispered.

She looked up and her face was one of pure horror when she saw her father's closed eyes.

"PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME!"

The doctor bowed his head as Theodosia sobbed, holding her father's limp and cold body.