The Mighty Fall

A/N: hey so yeah this isn't fanfiction but I wanted to see what you guys thought of like my actual writing and stuff so yeah please comment this was a short story I wrote for my english class (also it's dark so caution)

The girl shuffled around the room she was being held in, rubbing the steel collar that was fastened too tightly around her throat. She squinted in the darkness, looking around at others who were being held captive with her; an elderly couple, a woman holding a small child tightly to her chest, and a boy a little older than her, all either lying around or walking as far as the chain would let them. She had no idea who they were, seeing as her old owner through her in here yesterday saying she was too old to be of any amusement any more. The door opened, momentarily blinding them all with the harsh white light coming from the hallway.

                “Your recess starts now.” The slightly choppy, monotone voice of the guard said, before turning around, exposing the metallic side of their face and leaving. The collars all automatically released, and she gulped greedily at the stale air, gingerly touching the skin on her neck where the metal rubbed against her skin, not surprised to see a red glint on her fingertips when she pulled her hand away. She followed the others who were somberly making their way outside of the room when a glint of white flashed in the corner of her eye. Startled, she turned and found something that looked like paper sticking out of the cracks between the floor and the wall. Checking to make sure that the cameras weren’t trained on her, she crouched towards the ground, darting her hand out and pulled, balling it up in her fist and heading out the door before she could cause any suspicion.

She followed her group into a single file down the hallway, a sinking feeling in her gut appearing when she saw several other rooms being emptied as well. They reached the door outside, and her suspicions were confirmed when she saw that the courtyard was nearly over-flowing with people. It was feeding day. Over on the north side of the yard they had a bunch of the guards lined up, escorting people into a small shack where they never came back out of. A trail of red was already forming from the back of the building. She forced her way through the crowd of blank-faced people, running against the side of the old white building they were kept in and sat against the wall, the dead grass pricking uncomfortably all over her exposed skin as she sat down, un-crumpling the paper that had been crushed in her locked fist. It was covered in a messy black scrawl, which she recognized as writing, and tried to recall what the older human her owner had taught her. After several minutes, she was able to stumble through the first couple sentences.

 I don’t know how much longer I have. Going by the way that they are treating me, I wouldn’t say I have much time. But someone needs to know what is going on, before it is too late. Maybe for you it already is.

My name is Anne, and here is my story.

Anne was lying on her bed, listening to music when she heard, or rather felt, the first crash. Pulling out one of her ear buds, she listened to the house that was suddenly silent, save for the murmur of the TV downstairs. A news anchor advertising the use of AI to assist the government was the only thing her strained ears picked up, until another loud crash was here, accompanied by a scream.

                “Mom!” Anne screamed, running down the stairs, tripping over something at the bottom of them. She pushed herself back up, and turned around, bile rising in the back of her throat when she saw the contorted body of her dad lying there, unmoving. Forcing herself back up, she stumbled into the kitchen to see her mom at gunpoint, an unknown man behind the trigger.

                “Don’t shoot!” She shouted, and the man turned his head sharply towards Anne. A jagged scar ran unevenly diagonal across his face, the left side of it completely made up of tightly-wound wires and metal. It was a tell-tale sign of one of the androids that had been slowly popping up everywhere.