Mrs Green

Sirius' POV

"You're going without us?" James snorted at me. It was Christmas night and he gathered up all the girls, minus Max and the guys came over as well.

"I didn't think you'd want to come! I was going to support Max and check on her Mum" I smiled at how organised my best friend were and how they were so okay when I blurted out that Max and I were close friends. I was always worried, just like her, that they'd be unreasonable about it all, especially knowing what Prongs is like.

"Of course we do dummy! Now let's go!" Alice snorted.

"Fine, but word of caution. We are going back to where my mother lives so don't let her see any of us!" And like that we apperated back to my home street, standing under the street lamps lighting the dark road, our feet pressed hard in the snow.

"This is where you both lived? A little depressing much" McKinnon frowned, the group of us huddling together as we walked up the road in the freezing cold.

"Why are we seeing Green play again?" Wormtail question. I could smack that idiot...

"Because I want too! Suck it up!" We reached the church by the swings and we could see people of all ages filtering.

"Alright folks. Wands away. No magic talk. We'll sit at the back so she can't see us yet and Sirius, you go find her mother" Lily order, leading us in. I can see where Max had been learning about confidence from. I realised I must of looked odd wearing a robe so I quickly pulled it off and placed it on top of a book shelf adorning rows of bibles. Silly things.

I spotted the light ginger hair and short shoulder cut of her mother, a coat wrapping around her to keep warm.

"Mrs Green?" I whispered, slowly approaching so I wouldn't scare her. She looked up and stared back at me in surprise.

"Oh! Hello sweetheart! I thought you said you weren't living down here anymore?" She scooted over a little to give me room to sit beside her. I smiled back and sat down, looking forward and smiling at the piano on the little stage.

"I'm not, but I wanted to see Max. I learned before Christmas that her father taught piano as a kid and she mentioned that she was playing tonight so I came along to watch a full piece. I only got to see a little glimpse of her playing and honestly... she just something else" I breathed out, forgetting who I was talking too or where I was.

"I'm sure she'd love that. Thank you, it's nice to have someone sit with me also" she took my hand and gently squeezed. It was an unfamiliar to feel the warmth of a mothers touch; something I've never felt in my life.

"Max, talked a lot about you and your husband. She's been struggling so much which is no surprise but I'm just sorry I never got the opportunity to meet Mr Green. From what I heard, he sounded like a fantastic character and from what I can tell already, she is very much like you" I nodded back. I haven't been so sincere with any parent other than Prongs. It's unnatural to me but I cared about Max more than I realised so being involved with her family was something I wanted to part of.

I saw the tears in her mother's sweet green eyes and smiled. She didn't have her mother's pretty eyes, she had her fathers. For that I thank him for because he created something so beautiful and magical. Her mum didn't let go of my hand and we sat in comforting silence.

"Sirius, darling. I wonder; are you and Maxine dating?" She almost had a little glimmer in her eye, the look of excitement or motherly pride? I don't know... I've never seen that look before. My mother's eyes are dead.

I related memories of Baker and Max together; cosy, happy, kissing and laughing. I was happy that she was with someone that made her happy but I knew her more. I knew the things that scared her, I knew the things she would obsess over, I knew the sound of her sleeping and belly ache laughing. I... I think I love her.

"Mrs Green.."

"Please, call me Julie" She squeezed my hand again, her eye fluttering with anticipation.

"Julie.. I'm not dating her... she is currently dating someone else." I tried my best to mask my disappointment in my words but who knows how convincing I sounded.

"That's a shame... her father would have loved you. Where is her boyfriend now? Surely he'd be here to see her?" She shook her head and the lights dimmed. Did I get Max's mums approval. How could that be!? I'm nothing more than a no good pain in the ass that takes joy for causing trouble and following Max around like a tired lost puppy...

The little church managed to fix a spot light on the stage, lighting the piano. A few people played and naturally they would good but nothing interesting to me. I saw the familiar copper red hair ripple like water onto the stairs. I couldn't see her fathers eyes, but I was desperate to see them. She took a gentle bow to the audience before taking her seat at the piano. She looked fantastic; a simple black dress with a fashionable red and green plaid bow around the white collar. Angelic... just like the quite Max I first met. She had completely changed this year. I was so used the timid and quite girl I met in our 6th year that when I met loud, confident and wild Max this year... she had me turned on and I can't seem to turn off.

It was silent, the room anticipating the music to start. In that second after I took a deep breath, she pressed her fingers to the keys and heaven sang. I was transfixed, my eyes locked on her face. The sounds of Christmas echoed around the church but as the piece grew you could see her emotions change, you could see why she was playing and who it was for. Looking more closely, you could see a few tears fall from her cheeks. She was feeling for him.

She was incredible. I turned around a little to look over at the group, and they too were transfixed on her, a grin on each face. I was proud they come for her, but most of all; happy.

Turning back around, I watched with intensity, wanting to understand each part she played. I had a piano at my house, one rarely touched but my mother touched only a few times when Regulus and I were young infants.

"She's incredible, isn't she" Julie sighed next to me, motherly pride radiating off her so strongly, I'm sure Max could feel hers. I smiled at her mother nodded. Yes she was... and I got to experience and not Baker. He doesn't deserve her...