Forever 21 - Prologue

Long distance relationships never work.

This is a fact that has been proven a countless number of times. Distance between a couple creates a strain between them. They can never make time for each other anymore, can't show affection toward each other, can no longer be intimate anymore, and the list goes on.

At the time, I had thought we were inseparable. We weren't like other couples, me and him.

Hunter.

Hunter Mason was his name. I was his, and he was mine. My love for him had no boundaries. It scares me to think that I may never develop feelings that strong, that powerful for anyone ever again. We met freshman year of high school, and became friends then too. Well, that's if you would count mini converstaions in gym class and the hallways as being friends. Eventually, our friendship developed strongly, and by our junior year, we were in a full-blown, committed, loving relationship.

I never understood, and still to this day, will never understand how I got to experience a love that nearly consumed me; body, spirit, and soul. Sure, I was in high school back then. One may say I was too immature to understand what love truly is and another may claim that I was way in over my head, but that is far from the truth.

I was truly, deeply, and wholly in love with this guy.

Now, I'm not trying to make our relationship sound pitch perfect because everything was not all flowers and roses. We got into arguments and disagreements from time to time, but then again, what couple doesn't?

I have to admit, I was a very jealous girlfriend back in high school. Him being a varsity soccer player, girls literally threw themselves at him. I would tend to worry about Hunter giving in to the girls because they were easy. When I relayed my feelings to him, we didn't talk for a week. I wasn't in as deep, but nonetheless, I was really scared for our relationship. We made up obviously, and he gave me reasons that I shouldn't worry about other girls. He basically screamed from the top of his lungs that everyone should "fuck off" because I was his girlfriend, but no big deal, right?

Wrong. It was then that I realized how serious our relationship actually was, how serious he was taking it.

It was then that I realized that I might just be falling for this guy.

In senior year, we finally admitted our relentless and passionate love for each other. This sounds like some girly, overdramatic short romance story, but I can't emphasize enough how in love I was with this guy. I don't know how it was possible for a guy this perfect to be made for me; Hunter was my other half.

I don't regret anything. Even though we're not together today, I regret nothing.

I don't regret loving him so much that it nearly consumed me.

I don't regret experiencing some of the best moments of my entire life thus far with him.

I don't regret the hours upon hours, days upon days, possibly months upon months that I spent altogether with him.

I don't regret losing my virginity to him.

I don't regret spending a whole two, loving years with him.

Not one single day has gone by without me thinking about him.

However, I do admit that I need to get a grip. It's been almost two whole freaking years since that fatal day when we ceased communication due to the difficulties of a long distance relationship. At the time, when I had accepted and committed to Princeton, I was thinking that no barrier, no number of miles could come between us.

I was wrong.

While I miserably went day by day without him in the beginning of my fall semester in college, Hunter was 7 hours away, at a college where he pursued his dreams of being in the World Cup. It was hard going day by day and week by week without seeing him. I was so overwhelmed with research papers and exams (and still am) and he was so busy with practicing soccer, that we both didn't get the chance to drive to each other.

It reached a point where Skype calls, FaceTime calls, and texts weren't enough. Five hour long video calls slowly decreased to one hour, calls and text messages weren't as frequent. Until one day, it all just.....

stopped.

I think that at that point, we both realized that the relationship wasn't working out, but neither of us wanted to admit it. Although we didn't formally break up, days of no communication slowly turned into weeks without communication.

Even though we didn't formally break up, the relationship was over.

Our relationship was over the day we decided to go to colleges that were hundreds of miles away from each other.

Pulling my eyes off of the ceiling, I stop reminiscing about the distant past that would only scar me even more than it already has.

Rubbing my eyes, I sit up and drowsily stretch my arms. Today is the day, would have been the day of our fourth year anniversary. I should've just gone with him. I should've gone to college with Hunter. Why was I so stupid?

But wait, the better question is, Why have I not yet let this go? Why am I not yet over him?

Why hasn't my love for Hunter died?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Hey lovelies! How are you liking the story so far? Comment and let me know if I should continue!

Dedicated to @gryffindork90 for giving me the motivation to write a new story! Go read her story Beautiful Mistake :))))