...

You wake up to the sudden feeling of having to cough out your insides. Rushing out of your room, you see the bathroom door close, your Bro is probably in there. The kitchen sink will have to do. You run to the sink and start coughing over it, and you continue to cough until something falls out and into the sink, a blue flower pedal. This doesn't to come a surprise to you, though, this has been happening for 7 months  now. Waking up to coughing or throwing up flower pedals, better yet having to pull them out of your throat so you don't choke to death on them.

You turn on the faucet so the blue pedal washes down the drain, it'll probably get stuck but that doesn't matter to you. You close your eyes and take a deep breath, going over to the fridge to get some AJ, that always made you feel a little bit better after one of those flower pedals decide to almost
kill you.

Drinking down some AJ, you see your Bro walk out the bathroom and start to go to the kitchen, you didn't want him to see you like this, although he knows about it. Quickly placing down the AJ,
you speed walk it to the bathroom, and closing the door behind you.

Hovering over the toilet, you place your shades down next to the sink, not wanting them to fall in the toilet. You feel another cough coming on, but that cough doesn't come. It's like another pedal got stuck in your throat, but there was nothing there. You try to steady your shaky breaths, but fail. It's been going on for 7 months and you already can't take it, why can you just get rid of it? Oh yeah, that's right, you don't want to lose your love for him. You got lost in thought about it until you hear a faded knock from the front door.

Putting back on your shades, you walk out the bathroom to see your Bro open the door to someone. "Dave, John is here." Bro merely said as he let John in. You thought this was bad luck, John doesn't know about this disease you have, the Hanahaki disease. The only ones who know is your Bro and Rose. You can't imagine what John's reaction would be to this, this is why you kept it from him, along with many other reasons. John was the reason you had this disease, but you don't blame him, you blame yourself for loving him. "Hey Egderp," you said casually, stuffing your hands in your pockets and walking over to him. "What're you doing here?" You ask John, "did you forget? I was staying over here for the night! You specifically told to come. I didn't even get a choice!" John chuckled, you found it adorable when he did that, and how he thinks you forgot. The truth is, you didn't forget, you hoped he forgot. As you and John left to go to your room and do whatever, your Bro gave you semi-nervous semi- worried glance, you knew why. He was worried about you.

As the both of you made it into your room, you had the urge to throw up again. You stop and turn to John, "hold on just a moment, John." You said as you quickly made your way to the bathroom, as you saw John's confused face before you closed the door. You leaned over the toilet and started coughing, you coughed and coughed but no pedals. You stood up until you just went back down to kneeling over the toilet bowl, and coughed something else up, blood. You coughed up blood, then finally coughed up blue flower pedals. This was getting worse. John must've heard your loud coughs because there was a knock on the door, along with a voice saying, "Dave? Are you alright? If you are not feeling well I come back another time." You can just hear the worry in his voice for you over your coughs. You thought it was pointless to even think of the possibility that he had felt the same way about you.

You got up and wiped off the blood with a towel. You put on a casual smile and open the door, "yeah, I'm alright." You have a reassuring wave gesture with your hands, and walk back into your room with John following. Before getting stopped by your Bro, you sighed, knowing well that he heard you cough as well. "Hold on just another moment." You said to John, again, and made your way to your Bro, he pulled you into another room so John couldn't hear. "Dave, this is getting worse. You coughed up blood, didn't you?" He saw right through you, he knew this too well, why? He had this disease, too, but it got so bad he needed to get rid of it, along with getting rid of his love for Jake English. "Dirk, if you think I'm going to get the flowers removed, you're wrong. I can't. I just can't-" You get stopped by your Bro by him putting his hands on your shoulders. "I know how you feel, you just can't go on any longer than 8 months." You can see the pain in his voice as he knows it all too well, he went over the limit and pushed it to a whole year, almost killing him.

You made up your decision and went back to your room with John. "Oh good, you're back! I just got some new Nicolas Cage movies that I'm sure you'd find tolerable." John said while holding up 2 DVDS. As much as you found Nicolas Cage movies lame, you'd put up for it, for him. John absolutely adored Nicolas Cage movies. You guys spent a good 3 hours watching movies.

---------------------------------------------

8 months. It's been 8 months now and you are constantly having to pull out blooded flowers from your throat. It was painful. But it would be even more painful to lose feelings for John. You knew it just got worse when Dirk had Rose come over to have a talk with you on this, even though you made up the decision to keep pulling through until the end. You three went up on the roof, and not for another training session with Dirk this time. "Dave, I know your feelings for John is strong, but he is really worth it? Worth your life?" Rose started, it made you mad, but you knew this was coming and it was pointless to resist this.

"I love him-"

"He doesn't love you back." Dirk bluntly said as you opened your mouth. His tone of voice was cold, was he upset with you? Possible because you are making the same decision he made. "Dirk, let's not to get too hasty here. I realize you don't want him to come close like you did, but-" This time you cut Rose off from speaking. "No, it's fine, Rose. Dirk just doesn't want me to die, and I get it, I got upset with him when he pushed his disease to a year just for Jake." You had said in your casual casual tone of voice. You were about to say something else until you had another coughing fit. Dirk and Rose came over to you, but you put your hand out to stop them. You were fine...you were- A whole blue flower came out of your mouth, along with some blood. "No...Not yet, this can't happen not yet!" Dirk cried out as he saw the whole flower, when this happens to him he was nearly close to death. Well, this was it, you had to get the surgery now or you were done for.

---------------------------------------------

It's been a couple hours after the surgery, after they removed the flowers from your lungs, the feelings you had for John were no more. You felt nothing of him but a friend, a good friend. You were back at your apartment with Dirk, Rose left but promised to visit to see how you are holding up. "I'm proud of you, Dave. I know how hard it was for you to do this. But it gets better, you move on." Dirk gives you a supportive pat on the back. You just feel pathetic now about if this, almost giving up your life for someone who doesn't even love you back- Your thoughts got interrupted by a soft knock on the door. You get up to go answer it, and it was John. "Hey, John. What're you doing he...re...What's wrong?" You tilt your head slightly, confused on why you see tears in John's eyes. He knew you were in the hospital, but he never knew why. "Dave...I- I think I know what has been going on you these past months..And I'm so, so sorry I haven't told you before." John looked down as he spoke.

You start to think if John realized you had the Hanahaki Disease, you hoped not. Even though he isn't your love interest anymore, you still didn't want a good friend to worry and think it's his fault. "Don't look so upset, John. I'm-" He cut you off. "You had the disease. The- the flower one, Hanahaki disease I think it was called. And...and it's all my fault you almost died!" John's tears escaped his eyes, looking up at you, but he couldn't read your expression do to the shades, but you felt all sorts of things. Nervous, worry, anxious, guilt... "I wish I would've told you before! But I was too stupid and now it's too late-" John's talking was interrupted by...coughing. And more coughing, and more coughing, and more coughing- oh look a red flower. "John...You..?" Your voice was shaken at the realization, and at the sight of it, red flowers coming out of his mouth, and you just noticed red flowers that had grown on his face.

"I love you, Dave. But- heh, it's too late for that now, eh?"