My Inhuman Lover

Ariel is my name, but my friends call me mermaid. Just because I have crimson, red hair and my name is Ariel as well.

Right now, I am walking out of the Halloween party with my boyfriend, Xander. He has soft, hazelnut hair. He has the most beautiful dark brown eyes.

Xander is taking me home, since I was tired. We were passing by the park, having a conversation. When a kid suddenly ran past us, pushing us. But since I was behind Xander, he tripped over my feet and fell. When he fell, I heard something break. I look over to Xander who was kneeled over onto the ground.

"Xander? Are you alright?" I question him. He didn't respond which worried me.

"Xander? Are you hurt?'' I asked, quickly go to him, but was stopped abruptly by him jumping up and running off. 

"Wait! Xander, where are you going?" I yell out. I look down to where he fell and saw pieces of... jolly ranchers? They were crushed up. Was that why he ran off? He crushed his candy? 

I shook my head and started running after Xander, in the direction he went in. I call out his name multiple times but no reply. After almost giving up I see his silhouette running into the woods.

"Xander! Stop!" I desperately call out. But he didn't stop. He kept going.

Okay, that was a bit dramatic I admit.

I chased after Xander, continuously calling his name. Trees blurred in my vision, as I ran after him. I was losing breath and slowing down until I eventually stopped running and bend over taking in deep breaths.

Gosh, I really need to start exercising again. A snap broke me from my thoughts causing me to look up. All I saw was trees around. The same exact noise came from my right. My head whipped in the direction.

"Xander? Is that you?" I call out.  Oh great, that was smart of me.  This is exactly how people die in horror movies. Suddenly, a low growl erupted from behind the tree I was looking at. 

My eyes slightly widened. Okay this is stupid. I walk towards the tree. A very stupid idea. One step after another, the leaves below crunched under my feet. I reached the tree and stopped. 

Okay, think logically Ariel. Now there could be a wolf behind this tree getting ready to eat you. But. It could also be Xander. Though, I'm pretty sure Xander doesn't growl. Mabey it's a nice wolf.

I peeked my head over behind the tree to be met with something.

A human figure. But it isn't exactly...human. The figure has long black scale-like wings with a hint of purple. They also had long horns that curl at the top of their head. But that wasn't what stood out. It was who it was. 

"Xander?" The words rolled off my tongue before I could stop it. Xander looked up with red eyes.  His eyes widened at the sight of me. Then he looked at his hands.  My eyes followed his gaze, when a small gasp escaped me. 

His hands and arms were covered in blackish, purplish scales. He has long black nails along with it. He looked back up at me. He opened his mouth to speak allowing me to see his sharp fangs. 

"Ariel. I-I can explain!" He looked at me then down at his self and looked up but not meeting my eyes. As if he was ashamed.

"You weren't supposed to see me like this. I-im sorry. " He quietly said.

As if suddenly I was brought back to reality. I slowly start to make my way towards Xander. He looks up shocked and opens his mouth to say something but I give him a look saying 'Shush'. He shuts up and looks down. I continue my way towards him and stop in front of his figure.

I reach my hands to his, when he flinches back. I stopped momentarily, before continuing. I slowly grab his hands and inspect them. I ran my fingers along his scales. They were rough yet soft. I look up to his wings and let go of his hands and reach to them. I hesitantly touch them, immediately feeling the coldness of them. I softly ran my hand over it. It seems like it would be made of leather but it feels soft as a feather. Finally, I look up at his face and hold his cheek. He looked up into my eyes. His red eyes seemed intimidating yet sent comfort to me. I look up at his head where the horns lay. My left hand slowly left his face and reached to his horns. I softly touched them. They felt like smooth stone. I look back at his gaze only to see him looking tentatively at my face, searching for a reaction. I smile. That seemed to shock him because his mouth stood agape.

"Aren't you scared of me?"He blurts out. I laugh at his bluntness.

"No! Well kind of." I say, "Yes, I'm shocked. But, I'm not scared." He looked at me curiously.

"But, I would really like a explanation" I laugh nervously.  He chuckles slightly making me smile. 

"Well, I am a dragon. I can change into a full dragon, this is just half of it. I was staying hidden but you see. That gem that broke back there, was my shield but it broke." He spoke. 

Oh, so it wasn't jolly ranchers. I let out a breath of relief. 

"Well, I don't know about you but I'm tired.'' He looked at me astonished. ''What it's been a long night!'' He chuckles and pulls me toward him.

He softly place his lips onto mine. Letting me feel the softness of his lips and warmth. He pulls away and looks at me.

"Okay, come on. We'll talk more tomorrow." He states. I nod in response. We walk to my house,  obviously avoiding anyone.