Entrance

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: None of these characters are my own, and I don't really know much about the mental illnesses apart from anxiety, social anxiety and depression as they are ones I deal with myself. This is in no way targeting anyone who may have these mental illnesses, this is merely fictional. Thank you for reading and enjoy!

Dan's POV

The doors made a loud blaring sound, like an alarm. He heard an electronic lock open, and the door swung open. The hand on his back pushed him forward and he complied, taking unsteady steps into what would be his new home. It looked like a normal psychiatric hospital, if you asked him. White walls, white tile floors, chairs littered everywhere and the occasional person in white clothes walking through. The door behind him slammed shut with a bang and he jumped. The hand on his back dropped, and he suddenly felt very isolated. "Louise! Thank you for bringing him in. I'll take it from here." A girl from his left said. "No problem Cat. Be careful with him though, he tried to bite one of the guards out front." The woman behind him, Louise he had learnt, said. He saw Cat nod and there was a smaller, colder hand on his back, guiding him to one of the halls on the left. It was an empty hall save for doors with windows on them, to see the contents inside. He could see they were bedrooms. He was led to the end of the hall and to a room on the left. The lady, Cat, knocked on the door and it was opened by a tall, lanky looking man. "Hello?" He answered. Once he saw who it was, he opened the door fully and stepped back, his hands behind his back. Cat sighed. "It's alright, Phillip, I'm not here for a room check. I'm actually here to drop off your new roommate." Cat said. Phillip's eyes widened once he took in Dan. He was dressed the same as everyone else, white shirt and white pants, and white slippers. Dan hated the way they dressed him, he was all for darks, and he hated the way this Phillip was eyeing him up. Suddenly, a smile broke out on Phillip's face and his stance relaxed, hands coming to his side. "Oh! Cool! And I told you, you can call me Phil. Phillip is too formal..." Phil said. Cat nodded and went over the rules, most of which Dan didn't listen to as he was taking in Phil's appearance. He didn't have the best posture, slightly hunched over, he had black hair, styled with short sides and a fringe in the front, swept to the left side of his face, he was pale, paler than anyone Dan had seen and he fidgeted. A lot. Throughout the 5 minutes it took Cat to go through the rules of rooming, Phil fidgeted throughout, twiddling his thumbs, slotting his fingers together, and drumming his fingers on his palms. Dan thought it was kind of endearing, he seemed just as nervous as Dan was. "Well, that should about do it. You've got an hour before the group session and then an hour for recreation. Help Dan settle in, won't you?" Cat said, before closing the door and walking away.

It was just Dan and Phil now. Phil turned and faced Dan, sticking his hand out for a shake. "Hi! I'm Phillip, but you can call me Phil. I'll be your new roomie!" Phil said. Dan studied his hand for a few seconds, the short nails, the way it slightly shook, before taking it and giving it a small shake. "Dan. Dunno if it's good to be here or not." He said, looking around the room. It was pretty bare, save for the white beds, bedside table in-between the two, a small plant on top, a window above that, and a small bookcase on the far end. "Well, the bed on the left is mine; you can take the one on the right. Unless you like sleeping on the left? In which case, we can swap, I don't mind swapping, it's not a problem-"

"It's fine. I don't mind the right bed." Dan interrupted in a flat tone. Phil fell silent and just nodded. He then went and sat on his bed, and gestured for Dan to do the same thing on his. He took slow, small steps, and gently sat down on the bed. It creaked a little, but from what Dan could tell, it wasn't that uncomfortable. "So, why're you here?" Phil asked. Dan looked up into Phil's eyes. He noticed they were a bright blue, with flecks of green and yellow. What an odd colour. "Isn't that a little rude to ask?" Dan said. Phil blinked, and then looked down. "Sorry. I didn't think that it'd be rude." Phil said, suddenly looking solemn. He brought his legs up and tucked them under his chin. Dan sighed. He could tell that Phil was gentle and easy to offend. "It's okay. From what they told my Mum and I, I have psychotic episodes, bipolar disorder, moderate social anxiety, chronic depression and pyromaniac tendencies." Dan drawled through his list. Phil looked up at Dan, eyes shining as he listening to Dan, but somehow, Dan got the idea that he was concentrating on him and something else. He squeezed his eyes shut for a second, shook his head, then smiled at Dan. "I have slight depression, major social anxiety and schizophrenia." Phil said, in a slightly happier tone than he should have. Great. So not only was Dan stuck in this place, but he was stuck with a truly mental person. Would they get along? Dan just simply nodded. Phil looked to his left. "Oh! I forgot to introduce you, this is Janice, she's my fern." Phil said, gesturing to the plant on their small bedside table. It was pretty small, in a brown clay pot, and had brown tips. "It doesn't look very healthy." Dan commented. Phil looked shocked. "She's very healthy! Just because she has brown tips doesn't mean she isn't healthy! Don't listen to him, Janice, you're beautiful." Phil said to the plant. Dan just rolled his eyes.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Phil got up to answer it straight away. It was a lady with blond hair and pink tips. "Hi Louise!" Phil greeted. "Hi Phil. Hello Dan. It's time for the group session." Louise said. Dan didn't get to look at her as he was being led in, but he guessed this was the woman who took him through the doors when he first came in. "Oh, has it been an hour already?" Phil asked. Louise just nodded. Phil smiled then gestured for Dan to follow. Dan just sat there. "Come on Dan, time to go." Phil said, far too cheery for this 'group session'. Dan sighed and pulled himself up, walking behind Phil and Louise.

AN: Hi guys! What do you think so far? Do I need to change anything? Also, next chapter, you'll find out who is also in this ward of the hospital with Dan and Phil. Please leave comments so I can improve!