Adoption

November, 2003

James

"I don't know, of course, I want to help you, but you're asking a lot of me right now." A young man stated into this telephone. Sitting at work, during office hours on campus, this is not a conversation that he was expecting. 

He heard a great sigh over the telephone line. "James, I understand that. But Lindi and I made a mistake. We're only kids in high school. We have a future, and we're both accepted into good colleges. If we keep her . . . our dreams will be unattainable. You're already out of college in a good teaching job. You're financially stable and live in a big house all on your own. Please help us, James. Please."

The high school student's voice broke with desperation, and James sighed himself. "Have you considered adoption?"

"Of course we have, but we can't imagine giving our baby to strangers who might try to remove us from her life."

That was a good point, but was the idea actually feasible? "If I adopt her, will you let me tell her the truth, or would you expect me to keep her parent's identity a secret?"

"She might not understand why we didn't keep her."

The young professor rubbed his temples with his free hand. "She would be more upset to find that out if I keep it from her."

"I see your point. Tell her only if she asks." The younger individual laughed in reaction to the surreality of their conversation. " I know you're super dedicated to your work . . . but does this mean you'll adopt her?"

The young man couldn't help but smile no matter how conflicted he felt. "Well, I can't say no can I, brother?"

 "Well, I can't say no can I, brother?"