Prologue

The quiet pitter-patter of rain was something that the cats of Hillclan had grown accustomed to during this leaf-fall. It was always chilly and raining no matter the day or time. The showers would go for hours at a time and then stop abruptly, but at least their lake had filled back up. Now the Medicine Cats could get all that they needed.

Poppycry's body sat pressed up against her best friend, Thundercy's back with her head laying upon her stomach. The two cats had been growing closer and closer recently and Poppycry had something big planned for the next day.

As the sun began to rise, the warriors were all awakened by the hushed coughs of another warrior inside of the den. A warrior named Doveflight...also the cat that Poppycry had first fallen in love with. But that was a story for another time.

Poppycry's eyes blinked open slowly, met by the shadowed bodies of about fifty other warriors. Hillclan was large. Her ears perked while her eyes traveled to the exit of the den, her ears swiveling to avoid the howling wind.

Another harsh cough.

"You good?" Said a russet-furred she that went by the name of Crimson. She was one of Poppycry's good friends.

"Yeah..." Doveflight muttered, getting to her paws and hurrying out of the den.

Poppycry watched the white and gray cat leave the den and enter the medicine cat's den. She then nudged Thundercry to get her up, but all she received was a stubborn groan.

"I'm so tired...can't I sleep for a little longer?" Thundercry said, trying to sound annoyed. Poppycry could sense the fakeness in her 'annoyed' voice.

"Oh, give me a break," The tortoiseshell cat hissed through her teeth, leaving the den quickly while Thundercry quickly followed.

Poppycry lead Thundercry all the way out into the territory until they stood on top of a hill, overlooking the distant forest and a heather field. Rain poured down but the wind had stopped, leaving an eerie silence.

The smaller she-cat turned and looked up at Thundercry with bright green eyes, a smile on her face. "I've been wanting to say this to you for a while now. It's been nearly seven moons since we last met and our kits are apprentices now. The thing is..." She paused to gather herself. "I've fallen in love with you. Of days and days of me saying "I love you" before I fall asleep, it's been the truth. You've stuck by my side for a long time. You're the only cat in my life that has been able to bring out the hidden part of my soul that has been stashed away for so long," She mewed. Tears were falling down her cheeks but it was alright. Rain helped blend them. "Will you be my mate?" Poppycry asked through a rumble of thunder.

The warrior watched as the expression on Thundercry's face twisted and scrunched up. It was evident to know she was crying. "Of course I will. I love you..." She whispered.

Poppycry looked away shyly and pressed her head up to Thundercry's chest. "You're an ugly crier," She meowed softly.

"Oh, shut up," Thundercry replied in a small snort, soaking up the moment along with Poppycry.

                   •              •              •

Sickness struck the clan slowly, but deadly. More than twenty cats had died over the span of three moons, including one of Hillclan's medicine cats, Fawnleaf. The other medicine cat was left to treat cats by herself while her apprentice struggled to keep up.

Rabbitstar was on his last life and his leading was sluggish. Other clans were closing in on them because of their weakness. But one day, they attacked.

Hollowclan attacked Hillclan one night and claimed five lives, two of which that were Plumpaw and Silverpaw, Poppycry and Thundercry's daughters. Not more than one week later did another daughter die after being bitten by a snake. Her body had ended up being dragged away by a fox by the next morning.

A week later than that, many apprentices were made into warriors prematurely. Such as their only son, Molechaser, who was claimed a week later by the disease.

The bodies of cats were left in the clearing because the remaining members of Hillclan were too weak to move them. Flowers and mint had been placed all around camp to get rid of the smell. Some of the bodies were even taken away by sickly animals who just needed food.

Poppycry and Thundercry sat alone one morning. Their bones were visible through their fur but they had been lucky enough not to get sick. Rumors had spread that the sickness got to Ashclan and was now taking many of their warriors as well.

"We need to leave..." The tortoiseshell cat whispered to Thundercry, who was certain that they should stay in Hillclan. But lately she couldn't make up her mind.

"I-i'm ready to go," The gray and white finally spoke after a long while of sitting in silence.

Poppycry sighed and got to her paws, nudging her mate carefully. She left camp quietly, knowing that eyes would watch them. The warrior could care less. They were the smart ones for leaving the sickness behind.

With that, the two warriors left Hillclan territory and left on their journey to find safety. A journey to find a new home that would let them prosper and grow. For now, danger awaited them.

                 •              •              •

These parts will be updated manually as I see fit. I live a busy life, but I'm using this to procrastinate from the 3 essays I need to get done.