A Wonderful World

People are afraid of what they don't understand.

People are afraid of people they don't understand.

People who are different- people who can defy science and religion.

I still remember the day I realised, the day my parents did too, they told me what I could do would scare and intimidate people- even if I didn't intend to.

One day they disappeared without a trace, and I've been living with my sister since.
That was six months ago.

                                 ***
Harper wandered though the subway and dodged the shoulders of busy people- who stroke obliviously- like kings among peasants. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, as she observed the anxious faces of those who rushed along littered tiles.

Out of all the chaos, it was almost alluring the way some people sat silently with their backs against the wall, staring at their feet. Unlike everyone else, they remembered every kindness from others, and cared greatly for what little belongings they had.

It was strange; Harper traveled this way daily but had never seen the two strangers, who sat only metres away from where she stood.

There was a boy, who looked slightly older than her, probably around the age of 17. Unlike most she had seen who were without homes, the hair that could be seen under his blue cap was short and black as coal. He scanned the faces of those who walked past, apathetic towards him- his eyes almost looked determined, despite how tired they seemed.
He had broad shoulders, that were visible even through his many layers of clothing, and despite sitting down, he appeared to be very tall- almost the opposite of the girl who sat beside him.

She looked young and fragile- as though she was better suited to be running in a white dress, through a field of flowers, than sat on the cold floor wearing a ragged coat with sleeves that reached far past her fingertips.
The patterned beanie she also wore covered the surface of long, blonde, greasy hair, that Harper assumed would be beautiful if ever washed.

The girl could easily be his sister, they shared many similar features. At a glance, you could tell she was a couple years younger than him, as her eyes didn't share the same tiredness.

Harper waited a few moments, without realising she was gazing obviously at the pair- to see if anyone who walked by would put money into the the cup that sat between them. Minutes passed, and not a single person so much as looked twice at them, and it had only just occurred to Harper why that was.
They were like her.

Harper wondered too often about her life if her parents had never warned her about concealing what she could do, it was these thoughts that woke her up at night in fear, and the same could likely be said for the two who sat before her- except what they faced was reality.

Before she knew entirely what she was doing, Harper had reached into her pocket and pulled out her purse. She began having second thoughts, considering how little money she had- but the sound of the coins in her purse had brought the pairs' attentions to her.

Harper quickly rummaged though it and pulled out the first- and only- note she could find. She wandered over to the pair and crouched down so she was level with them, before reaching out and holding the note within the boy's reach.

She was surprised when the girl reacted next, she held out her hand to Harper and produced a flower that grew upwards from her soft palm. The girl smiled sweetly, whilst using her other hand to gently pluck the flower and hold it out to Harper as a supposed gift of thanks.

Harper stuttered, unable to thank the girl, as she took the flower and forced a smile to cover the shock she felt. Harper was still processing what had just happened when the boy took her other hand and planted a soft kiss on it as she turned to face him. The corners of his lips curled into a devious smile, as black smoke arose from his fingertips briefly, then faded into the air, leaving a warm, tingling feeling on her skin.

"Are you one of us too?" the girl asked shyly, as the boy released Harper's hand and turned to glare at her with eyes that seemed less weary than before.

Before Harper had time to respond, the girl looked away and shivered slightly, "Sorry... I shouldn't have asked," she muttered in a more awkward tone.

"It doesn't matter, does it?" the boy sighed, suddenly returning his gaze to the faces of the people who walked past, "Either way, it's nice to know somebody cares."

For a split second, the girl wore a confused expression as her eyes met with the boy's and he greeted her with a subtle smirk.

After a few moments, Harper stood and smiled down at the both of them momentarily, before turning and continuing to walk, holding the flower with both hands before her eyes.

She ignored the looks of disgust from those around her, who had been staring for the duration of her encounter with the two strangers, but began to feel an uneasiness as she continued at a quickened pace.

Suddenly, she felt the growing urge to stop, and before Harper knew what she was doing, she was stiffer than wood in the sea of people. Harper turned slowly as the hair on the back of her neck stood up, and a shiver traveled down her spine.

The boy.
The girl.
They were gone.