I

In loving memory of
Sylvia Likens
(1949-1965)
aged 16
*

The net curtains blew wildly floating through the room. An old woman with shaking hands and a quaking soul allowed her frail hands to pull the windows closed. The wind died, the curtains settled and she let out a sigh.

"How are you old friend?" A smooth voice rang out from the corner of the room. The woman jumped in fear as her tired eyes fell upon a cloaked figure. The figures face was well hidden beneath a hood and the hundreds of shadows that danced around the room. Her ghostly white skin and plump red lips were all the old woman could make out.

"Who are you? What do you want?" the old woman trembled.

"My my you haven't forgotten me have you Paula? It's me your old friend. I've been with you a long time now. It's time we finally met isn't it?"

"Sylvia is that you?" the old woman gasped.

"Come on now Paula let's not play stupid. Sylvia died a long time ago. You saw to that didn't you?"

The woman gasped her eyes darting to the door and windows knowing well that her old legs wouldn't get her far. "What are you? What do you want from me?" She let out a harsh whisper. The hooded figure let out a long melodic laugh which chilled the old woman to her very core.

"Come sit Paula" she gestured towards an armchair. The old woman stumbled forwards unsure whether to comply or run. "There's no point running. This was inevitable we both know it"

The old woman took a seat her body shrinking into the chair. "Are you death? Have you come to take me away?"

The figure laughed once more. "Oh no I'm not death. He'll be along soon though, once I'm done"

The old woman was visibly shaking now. "Please put me out of my misery. I've suffered enough"

"You answered your own question" the hooded figure said smiling, a row of perfect white teeth on show. The old woman just looked at her with wide eyes "What question?"

"What do I want? I want for you to suffer" The old woman shook and trembled harder if it was possible. Crystal tears fell down her wrinkled skin. "Are you going to kill me?".

Another laugh. This time it was ice cold. "Why do you people always call out for death. There's no pain no suffering. So boring! So easy."

"I told you before I've been with you a while Paula. I've been the reason you lost your job at the school, the reason you won't go down to your basement, the reason you can't leave your child alone with another woman, the reason you fear your own shadow waiting slowly for death to finally take you. But then again they are all things you brought on yourself I just made sure you never forgot".

"I did my time. I paid for my crimes" the old woman rasped. "You paid the price of the law that's all. All with the cheek to smirk through your trial" the hooded figure spoke grabbing hold of the old womans arms. "But not to worry I made sure you suffered after"

The old woman stilled in realisation. "Is there redemption for the damned?"

"There can be redemption for all those who seek it"

The woman nodded slowly. The hooded figure turned to leave. "Wait, you never really told me who you are"

The hooded figure turned back around bringing her face down close to the womans ear as she whispered her name.

The old woman closed her eyes and let out a shaky breath. When she opened them again the hooded figure was gone and she was alone once more like she had been for a long time now.

The night passed by fast and several days later the body of Paula Pace Baniszewki was found by the mailman. She was found perched on a couch with her hands clasped in a final prayer.

***
Ok. Wow. I wrote that in maybe an hour after re-watching the story of Sylvia Likens. I was angry at the fact that the people responsible got away thats why I started this it's my way of punishing them even if just through words.

What I didn't imagine though was that I'd begin to even sympathize a little with the criminal here. I guess I realized half way through that redemption isn't mine to give or deny. So I'll let you all decide if she's forgiven.

This is a work of fiction. Paula is (the last I've researched) still alive. The reason she stuck out to me is she is smiling in her mugshot and it angered me a lot. There will be more chapters on some other villains that I need to punish in my own crazy way.

Give us a vote if you enjoyed this. Let me know what you think. As always thanks for reading.