Ethereal

.

It felt like it was yesterday, the day he broke her heart.

"It's not that I didn't love you...I just love her more."

"I'm sorry, Astoria," he continued.

She cried herself to sleep that night, wanting to forget everything that just happened.

.

Five years. It's been five years since he left her. Five years since he left her, to be with someone else.

To be with her. Granger.

And now, here she finds herself attending their wedding.

They both look stunning. Beautiful and stunning.

It makes her want to throw up.

He catches her gaze from across the room and smiles. She smiles back, but obviously it isn't as happy as his. At least she tried. She tries to be happy for him.

For them.

He started making his way through the crowds, accepting all the "congratulations" and other greetings. Noticing he's getting near her, she starts to panic.

She starts to turn around, looking for an exit, an escape.

"Is something wrong, Astoria?" His voice smooth.

"N-no. Of course not!"

"Well then-"

"Congratulations, Draco," she says, voice low and soft, awkwardly hugging him.

"Thanks," he says, shoving hands into his pockets.

"So..uh..can I ask you for a dance?"

Astoria blinks, taken aback.

She was about to answer but he cut in, "Malfoys don't take no for an answer, and you of all people should know that."

"Fine." Rolling her eyes playfully, taking his hand as he pulls her out to the dance floor.

He places his left arm on her waist and holds her left with his right. She places her right on his shoulder and he leads, swaying them back and forth.

"I'm glad you came, Astoria. I know it must've been difficult for you," he whispers to her ear.

"I already thought about it. I wouldn't have missed it for anything anyway." She snorts.

She looks over his shoulder spotting Granger talking with Potter and Weasley, noticing she looks happier than ever.

"I understand now," breaking the silence.

"Hmm?"

"I understand now, why you left me for her-"

"Astoria-"

"No, it's okay. I was angry and bitter, of course, but-"

"I didn't mean to leave you, nor hurt you. It just...happened," He protests.

Continuing, "I didn't plan any of these- these things that happened between us."

"I know-"

"No," he cuts her off, "I don't think you understand at all. I could have stayed if I could- I would stay, but I couldn't pretend-"

"That you loved me," she mutters, looking down the floor.

"It's not like that, Astoria. I love you it's just that-"

"You love her more,"

He nods, smiling towards Granger.

"Just so you know, I wasn't not happy with you, nor I regret being with you"

"I know. I'm glad you're happier. I'm glad you've found someone that really makes you happy."

"You're gonna meet someone like that as well, one that will make you happy. Someone who'll make you happier than I ever could." "Oh, and I'll expect an invitation on your wedding," he tells her.

Her gaze shifts to Granger who waves at her in an annoying way- a nice kind of annoying. Astoria smiles back and laughs, looking away.

"What now?" Draco asks.

"Granger, your wife," she answers.

"And?"

"She's a much better person than I am, I now get it, what you see in her." "To be honest, if I was her, I'd be extremely pissed off if I see my husband dancing with another woman, much more if she was his ex. But then Granger just...smiled back. She didn't get pissed, it doesn't bother her at all," Astoria explains.

Draco smiles, glancing to his side catching his wife's gaze, and smiles at her lovingly.

Astoria sighs, watching Draco smiling at his wife lovingly. This is for the best anyway.

Perhaps they weren't really meant to be with each other. Perhaps there was someone out there who's better than Draco and who'll make her happier than Draco ever could. She knows that someday she'll also find a fairytale life she'd always dreamt of. Right now, the fairytale life was meant for them, but someday will come.