The Teddy Bear

My entry for the Walking Dead contest...

I hold Teddy close.  

He's the only thing I have left from my Daddy.

I miss Daddy.

Mom says I have a new Daddy now.

I don't like him.

I don't think Mommy does, neither.

He always smiles at us, but he has a scary smile.

Not like my Daddy's.  When he smiled at me, I knew he loved me.  

This Daddy's smile is...yucky.

He smiles way bigger than my Daddy ever did, but I don't think he really means it.

He smiles like the Man at the park did, that one time.  He told me he was supposed to pick me up for Mommy and Daddy.  When I got into his van, I felt scared. 

He kept smiling at me, and then he rolled the windows up.  They were all black.  Then I saw he had a Teddy Bear on his lap.  He told me that I could hold it, if I wanted.  He said it was a special gift for me.  He looked at me, and winked really Big.  I started to reach for it, but then I felt bad.

 I don't know why. 

 I tried to open the van door.  The Man got mad and told me to stop, and then he started to drive away.  

But my Daddy saved me. 

 He was suddenly by my door, and he opened it and pulled me out.  Mommy grabbed me; she looked really scared. 

 Daddy just looked mad.  

He hardly ever looks mad.  He went around to the other door and opened it and started hitting the Man.  Mommy cried and yelled.  Some other kid's mommies and daddies ran up and they all grabbed the Man.  Mommy pulled me away and I didn't see what happened. 

 Later Mommy and Daddy took me home.  They kept hugging me and Mommy cried and Daddy still looked really mad.  His hands had blood on them.  I asked Daddy if he was okay, and he smiled at me and said he was, and that everything was going to be fine.

Then the police came.  A policeman talked to me and I told him all about the Man.  I wasn't scared of the policeman...

Everything was okay after that.  Mommy and Daddy never left me alone again, and sometimes Mommy was crying in the other room and Daddy was talking like he was mad.  

Someone at school told me that the scary Man at the park didn't get in trouble for trying to take me away.  I heard my teacher, Miss Lucy, telling  some other mommies that the Man had did this before, that he was trying to help take other kids home.

Mommy kept trying to take Teddy away after this happened. I don't know why.  Daddy and her yelled at each other about my Teddy, but they let me keep him.  Mommy tried to buy me a new one a couple of times, but I didn't want one.  

Then the Bad People came.  It was later.  Mommy and Daddy didn't wake me up like they always do.  I woke up and Mommy was crying again.  This time she looked really scared. 

 Daddy too.

I asked what was wrong.  Mommy turned the TV off.  Daddy looked mad at her.  She said that there were some Bad People coming, and that we had to stay inside.  

Daddy didn't go to work that morning.  He said that he could stay home with us, until the Bad People were gone.  I was glad!  I really like it when Daddy gets to stay home from work with us.