Meeting Again

ZOE'S POV:

Joe reached across the center console of my red Mini Cooper, turning up the radio. "I love this song! And I love your car!" He yelled, running a hand through his wind-swept hair, then throwing both hands into the air.

"Both hands on the wheel! I don't need you crashing my brand new convertible," I hollered at him over the thundering music, "and could you turn down the radio before I go deaf?"

Joe turned down the music, making a pouty face. "You're no fun, Zoe." I rolled my eyes and him and continued to admire the wind blowing through my hair. We decided to drive my convertible instead of taking Joe's car to Brighton.

"I bet Alfie's excited to see you, Zoe!" Joe chuckled, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

"Oh shut up," I say, pushing his shoulder, "we liked each other when we were like ten. Things have changed." What if things haven't changed? Don't be crazy, Zoe. You haven't seen Alfie in years. I thought, my brain fighting with itself. I look over to my right, enjoying the beautiful view of the sea. I remember going there my family to visit Alfie and his family as a child. We would run from the waves that crashed against the shore, and bury each other under the sand. We would have contests to see who could build the best sandcastles, and search for little critters in the tide pools.

"We are almost to Brighton!" Joe said, interrupting my thoughts.

As we drive into the beautiful beach town, I pull up Alfie's address on my phone and plug it into the GPS. We pass the sweet shop we would go to get taffy and ice cream.

~time skip~

A shaky hand reached up to knock on the door. Once. Twice. Three times. Then I breathed out, stepping off the welcome mat that was decorated with pink and red flowers. My mind drifts off, remembering Mrs. Deyes' style. Everything was floral, and Alfie hated it. He said it 'wasn't manly enough for him.' I stare down at my sandals and chuckle, causing a curious stare from Joe.

I was pulled away from my thoughts by Alfie opening up the door. "Zoe!" he yelled, pulling me in for a hug, "How are you?" I was unable to think as I held on tightly to him, not wanting to let go.

"I'm great! How are you, Alfie?" I replied, regrettably letting him go. I smiled the biggest smile I could at him.

"I've been good, thanks! Joe!" he exclaimed, moving from me to my brother. I smirked at their bro-hug.

"I'm amazing! It's so good to see you again! Your hair is different," Joe commented.

"Well, it has been like, what? Ten years!" Alfie said, letting out a small laugh... It was more of a cackle. The cackle I've missed so much over these years. I giggle along with him.

"Ten years is way too long!" I say, Alfie placing his arm around my shoulders.

"Come on in!" He said, gesturing to the doorway.

We step into the house, and I hear beeping coming from the kitchen. Alfie's mom runs in to the kitchen wearing an apron covered in golden sunflowers.

"Zoe! Joe! How have you been? Oh, you two look so grown up!" she fawned over us, wrapping me then Joe in a hug.

"We've been good, Mrs. Deyes! How are you?" I asked, sliding my sandals off and placing them by the door.

"I'm good, dear! Oh and I'm sorry I'm covered in flour," she said, taking off her apron, "I was baking some chocolate chip biscuits. I just took them out of the oven, actually. I would offer you one, but they are incredibly hot."

"Oh that's okay, Mrs. Deyes. Maybe later." Joe said.

"Alright dear! So, what do you kids want to do? It's supposed to be a beautiful day today!" she asked Alfie.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe we could go walk around town?" Alfie asked, his eyes lingering on me.

"That sounds lovely."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everybody! I hope you like my little fanfic! If you do, I would love to know, so feel free to leave a comment or message me! I also love criticism and suggestions, so if you want, I would really like to hear them! Please vote comment and follow! Thanks so much, and I love you lots!

XOXO- Ally