veggies

-AU of Jadine, James' POV
-They're just 4 year olds here who are eating veggies, and James despise veggies
-childhood friends

"Come on, James. Eat your green peas and mashed potatoes." Mom pleaded to me while holding a spoonful of mashed potatoes. "But I want steak! I want chicken!" I said, crossing my arms and pouting. "But you already finished yours. Look at Nadine, she finished her veggies and her steak. She even drank the glass of water without any scolding or plead. She's a big girl (she said as she caressed Nadine's hair who is now playing with a dog stuffed toy), and you're being a big baby." Mom said. Nadine giggled at that and then said "James is being baby." "That's right, Naddie. James is being a baby. Now, do you like grumpy babies? And babies who don't eat their veggies?"

"No. I don't like grumpy babies, they aren't fun to play with."

I flushed. I was so embarrassed at that moment. I was very ashamed of myself and how I don't like eating veggies.

To shake it off, I grabbed my spoon and swooped down some peas. I stare at it first and closed my eyes as I put it inside my mouth. I munch at it trying to shake the hate for grean peas. I opened my eyes.

I saw Naddie and Mom staring at me.

"I'm no baby. Naddie can like me now." I said, with courage and big smile plastered in my face that hides the disgust I was feeling for my veggies.

"Aww, James. You'll always be my baby." Mom said pinching my round cheeks. "But, mom! I'm not a baby. Naddie doesn't like babies."

Mom smiled. "Naddie likes cute babies, right Nadine?"

Nadine nodded and smiled. "I like cute babies. I like their smiles and giggles."

"Oh-oh! I'm cute. I'm a baby. Do you like me Naddie?" I said, eyes beaming with happiness.

"Yes, James. I like you."

I smiled at her.

Naddie likes me.

-Nadine's POV

"James! Stop colouring out of the lines!" I scolded at James. He keep colouring out of the lines! If he keeps on doing that then our artwork won't be pretty. "But I'm tired!"
"Even though. This should be good. If it isn't good then Mama won't hung it in the fridge." I reasoned out.

"Can we rest for 5 minutes?" He said as he lazily leaned against the couch and raised up 4 fingers. "James, that's only four." I said and he then raised his pinky finger. "There, 5. Come on, Naddie. Let's rest."

"Fine." I said as I leaned against the couch. James sat closer to me and squished me at the edge of the couch. "James, stop squishing me!" I said, a bit annoyed at his childish behaviour. James lifted his legs up and shifted into a sleeping position. He placed his head on my lap and started fake snoring. "James naman eh! Ang bigat ng ulo mo." I said as I shaked him. "Naddie, I'm sleeping. Just stay still."

"Hmph. I'll just get Paulo to help me. Maybe Joseph, if Paulo is busy."

James suddenly stood up. "No. You don't need to go to Joseph and Paulo to help you. I can." He said, worry in his eyes. "But you color so bad! You color out of the lines! And they aren't even pantay! Paulo is good at arts. He got a medal for his drawing. Joseph also colours very good." I reasoned out.

"Naddie, I can do better than them! I can do well. I just need rest and—"

"Snacks!" Yaya Maya said as she brought a tray over. "Yay!" We both screamed and rushed towards it.

...
...

That was James when we reached to see the snacks. I can't help but giggle. He was so shocked and stunned to see our snacks involved cucumbers and carrots. I knew he liked grapes and apples, and he loved organic orange juice. But that wouldn't erase his hate for carrots and cucumbers."James?" I said, as I take one cucumber into my mouth. "Yaya! Why carrots! Why cucumbers!" James tantrumed. "But, James you have to eat it." Yaya Maya said. "No. I don't want to." James said as slopped own and crossed his arms. He pouted and his tears started falling down.

I slopped down next to him. "James, come on." I said. "No, Naddie. I already ate my potatoes and peas. Why do I need cucumbers and carrots for merienda?" He asked. I started drawing circles at his back, my mom always does this when I cry. Maybe this'll help.

"So you can be strong and more cute. Do you want to be strong? Do you want to be cuter?" I said, trying to persuade him into eating some. Tita will ask and check on us from time to time to see if we were eating our veggies and if James is being a crybaby.

"But I'm already strong. And I'm also cute, nothing or no one is cuter than me." He said with pride, and said as if it was so matter-of-factly. "Even me?" I asked, trying tease him. "No, I mean yes. Well. Uhmm. I didn't mean it that way Naddie. You are not cute, you're beautiful." James said, trying his best to explain it. I felt my face heating up and I knew I was turning so red.

James probably noticed it. He turned red right away when he saw me become a red tomato.

I tried to hide it by getting a piece of carrot and munching on it. I gave one to James, and he was hesitant at first if he should eat it. But I guess my persuasion worked, he munched on it.

I got another one, it was very long. I put it into my mouth, amused at how long the piece of carrot was.

I was surprised to see James munching the other end of the carrot. Oh my. So close.This is what daddy does to mommy. This is weird. But what James did next was weirder.

He leaned in closer and tried to say something while having a carrot in his mouth "I like carrots now." He said and munched the carrot at his side.

He grinned and took one cucumber and one carrot and shoved it in his mouth. He then stood up and continued coloring properly and was
trying to erase the mistakes he made.

He looked at me, smiling. "Naddie, I'm gonna be strong and cuter now. I like carrots and cucumber."

-thank you for reading, mwahhs