Scene 1

Eerie silence filled the home, almost driving Farin insane. He had woken in the middle of the night to thumps sounding on the roof above him, sounding quite too much like heavy footsteps. He hadn't dared to investigate, and since no one else in his home had woken because of the footsteps, he decided it would be better to go right back to sleep. He was sure it had just been the guards that slunk through Laketown, no matter if it was midday or the dead of night. Surely it was just the guards.

Drifting off into an odd feeling sleep, almost uneasy but not quite, Farin was awoken no more than an hour later by a scream, then another, and a horrible clanging sound, followed by more and more, even the sound of splintering wood, all sounding no more than three houses away. That couldn't have been Bard's home, could it? No. There was no way in Arda that Bard would be getting his house broken. Well... Maybe there was a sizable chance.

After a few more agonizing minutes of Farin silently laying in his bed, listening to the crashes and cracks to his distant left, there was complete silence, aside from the footsteps once again thumping over his head, this time in the opposite direction as before, away from Bard's home. Farin just lay there, wide eyes and almost scared of breathing, staying stock still as he drifted back to sleep, uneasily tossing and turning through the rest of the night.