Surrounded by Death (DIMBFF)

So... This is my entry for Katrocks247's DIMBFF series.  I stumbled on them last week and read the lot in three days.  Totally awesome, laugh out lout funny and captivating.

I wasn't going to enter originally, but it played on my mind.  Alot.  So here goes...

Music: Descending Angel by the Misfits.  The runners up were Fallen Angels by BVB and Killing Lights by AFI.

* * * * * *  * * * * * *  * * * * * *

“Faith... Fa-ith...”

My Moms voice sang up the stairs, interrupting my unusual, non-Death related sleep.  How the Hell can she be so damn enthusiastic at this time of the morning?  My hand crept to the pocket of the cotton trousers I had taken to wearing to bed instead of my usual sleep-shorts, the pocket that contained the silver cross I had pressed to Death’s face only a few short days ago.

“Faith!”  She yelled up the stairs, it wasn’t like we were exactly on ‘normal’ Mom and daughter terms since she found out that I knew about her little deal with the ex-Angel who took great delight in my mental torture.  I wondered why she seemed to have her panties in such a twist.

Wow, I thought. I’ve really become quite venomous towards her lately.  Now, why could that be?  Oh yeah, ‘cause she sold my soul to to a walking, talking, demonic slanket.

Tsk, tsk, Cupcake.  It’s not nice to think that way about Mommy dearest, or me.

I rolled over, pulling my comforter over my head as I screamed silently into my pillow.  I know he isn’t here.  He can’t be here, I’ve buried crucifixes in the ground by every door and window so he can’t bloody well get in.  His voice is in my head, that’s all, I’m imagining it.

Why am I imagining what Death would say in response to my thoughts?  I haven’t seen him since... Since I burned him.

Guilt flooded through me at the memory of his anguished howling as I pressed the cool metal to his face, the smoke that poured out of his hood before I turned tail and ran, literally, for my life.

A heavy knocking rattled my bedroom door.

“Faith honey, are you awake?”

Groaning, I threw off my covers and shuffled towards the door, yanking it open to reveal Mom’s beaming face.

“Jeez Faith, you sleep like the dead!”

A whole parade of emotions washed across her expression as she realised her incredibly poor choice of words- Sadness, guilt, fear, love, they all flashed through her eyes as I glared at her, my face twisting into a grimace.

“What do you want Mom?” I snapped, more harshly than I had intended.

“Well, umm, Aunt Sarah and Andrew called this morning.”  She looked anywhere but my eyes as she wrung her hands together, “There’s a Carnival and they haven’t seen you for so long... You need to try and get back to normal sweetheart.”

“Normal?”  I sputtered “Are you serious?  My life has never been normal, not since... Then.”  I knew full well she understood what ‘then’ was.  The day she sold my soul to eternal torment.

She shook her head “Faith.” She uttered sternly in her ‘do what I say or else’ voice.

“Aunt Sarah hasn’t seen you for ages and Andrew hasn’t been well lately.  It would mean a lot to them if you would see them both for a while.”

“Fine.  Whatever, Mom.”  I made damn sure she could see the resentment on my face as clear as day. “Just so you know, I’m doing this for Aunt Sarah and Dad.  Not for you, and certainly not for that self absorbed prick.”