Prologue

"These are the tiny humans. These are children. They believe in magic. They play pretend. There is fairy dust in their IV bags. They hope, and they cross their fingers, and they make wishes, and that makes them more resilient than adults. They recover faster, survive more. They believe."

Children were always so innocent. They believed in things that adults deemed impossible, they believed in miracles, they could believe in anything that their imagination could offer, but most importantly, they believed in magic.

As a child, she believed in magic and her imagination and in everything that was impossible. She believed that Santa Claus squeezed down the chimney in her house on Christmas Eve and brought her presents, ate the cookies and drank the milk that she set on the kitchen table for him. She believed that one day, she would grow up to have superpowers like in her favourite cartoons. She believed that her teddies and dolls could come alive at night, and play with her, talk to her.

And one day, her belief of magic came true, and she learnt that magic was as real as anyone was.

Under her own fingertips, she made a dried daisy come alive again and bloomed. Everywhere she walked, flowers bloomed in her wake, the grass stood up straighter. Her parents would joke that every time she, the ray of everlasting happiness and sunshine, walked by the flora, her sunshine would enable them to grow better. But she knew better, and the existence of magic was confirmed when she turned eleven, and afterwards, when she was whisked away to Scotland to a school for Witchcraft and Wizardry.

That was maybe, one of the biggest reasons she chose to work with kids. They believed in magic, a huge part of herself. She felt like she could be herself with them. She could show them magic, and they would gobble it all up excitedly, not once giving her doubts. Adults however, would scorn at her, laugh at her, and probably try to admit her into a mental institute. Maybe even declare her schizophrenic or something.

Not that she could tell anyone, anyway, being bounded by the statute of secrecy.

She felt like Elsa, from Frozen.

"Don't let in, don't let them see, be the good girl you always have to be. Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know."

"Make one wrong move and everyone will know."

All her life, she had been concealing this entire part of her from the rest of her world. Her loved ones didn't know, her best friends all kept in the dark. They thought they knew her, but in actual fact, they only knew the tiniest part of her.

But occasionally, to the tiny humans that needed her to save each day, she let this hidden part of her come out, take over, and conjure up something that would give her sick, tiny humans some joy even in all their pain. But that was it. Only to her tiny humans who would believe that they were merely magic tricks, those that everyone would learn.

She knew the truth though, it was pure magic. The magic that had coursed through her blood vessels since the day she was born, took over her life when she was eleven, and resided in her since then.

When she was young, she had no idea how magic could save them all. Sure, they were told stories about the first wizarding war, but it wasn't real to her. It was like a story in a story-book. Fiction.

As she grew older, graduated, decided what to do in her life – in the midst of the brewing second wizarding war, days in the wizarding world were growing darker and darker – she grew to value how important magic was, how magic could save their very lives.

She was a doctor, she was trained to believe in science, but she believed in the beauty of magic too.

Magic would one day save them all, when CPR, defibrillators, surgeries and medicine could not.