Bring The Heart To Earth

BRING THE HEART TO EARTH

But how shall I improve

the swiftly-dimming hour?

I shall deteriorate

amid bucolic dreams

and gather in my fate;

there's lots worse ways than that.

Goodbye good friends. Alas,

some goodbyes are like death;

they bring the heart to earth

and teach it how to die.

George Johnston

PROLOGUE

Part I. The Mill

The clock struck the hour of seven, snapping Margaret's head up from contemplation of the blueprints laid out on the table before her. "Oh, Nicholas, why didn't you tell me the hour was so late?" she complained to her companion across the office.

Nicholas Higgins managed to maintain a somber countenance, despite the twinkle in his eye. "Well, Mistress, you were so engrossed in your study of them layouts, I didn't have the heart to disturb you."

Margaret snorted. "Didn't have the heart to disturb me, indeed. As if you aren't on pins and needles to have me approve the expansion to the mill, and provide you with even more space to fill with machinery and men! More looms, more carding engines, more spindles-all part of your grand plan." She brusquely rolled up the blueprints while Nicholas bit off a laugh and pushed back from his desk.

"I'd be a-lying if I said I wasn't anxious for your go-ahead on the mill expansion. We are at capacity now, and need the extra room for our trade." He met her gaze with a clear eye. "I'd hate for anyone to say that Royce Mill is behind the times." He smiled. "We've been the top producing mill in Crompton for two years now, Miss Margaret. I'm not looking to see someone else pass us by."

She smiled back at him. "How can I forget, when you remind me at least once a week, Nicholas? And well do I know it's you I have to thank for our production."

Nicholas shrugged modestly. "We'd be nowhere without your capital, Mistress. If you and Mr. Fred hadn't provided the money and Mr. Henry the connections to get this mill up and running, we'd not be in business today."

She reached a hand out to him, and he clasped it firmly between both of his. "But we are, Nicholas. And we are doing well, and helping our workers prosper and support their families. So let's be thankful, and pray that the expansion extends our prosperity." She added saucily, "And that Mary is able to handle the expanded lunch crowd."

Nicholas laughed. "And that you're able to keep up with the children in that day school. Although, you'll be a-needing a tutor for young Fred, soon enough, the way he gets on with his reading."

Margaret laughed. "And don't forget Tommy. He is our best scholar, or so Mr. McAllister reports."

Nicholas beamed with pride. "That he is. He is a clever lad, but after all, he is the one that helped teach me to read. What an idea you had, teaching the mill hands to read in the evenings when the day students went home, and the mill was quiet."

"It's a shame so few have come to the classes," Margaret mused.

"It will catch on in time, as most things do. Things change slowly here in the north."

"Well do I know that." She looked out the window at the gloom of the November evening, and busied herself putting on her bonnet. "I should be getting home to make sure my young nephew isn't pestering Dixon neigh on to death."