1. an untainted dream

maybe once long ago, this was a reality.

It's strange, really. If I look back far enough, I can recall when I was very, very young and what life was like then.

Mother and Father were often away from home on their trips out at sea, but that was okay. That meant I had the whole of our mansion to ourself, and I had many ways of keeping myself entertained: Spending long summer afternoons sprinting throughout the garden and plucking petals from flowers, ("He loves me, he loves me not— oh dear, there's just two more petals. That's cheating.") animating the little porcelain dolls in their ornate houses as characters in a story, holding a tea party with Mr. Bear and Daisy the bunny.

Even if this was an idyllic life for someone of my time, I was bored. I didn't want to spend all of this time cooped up in a home I had explored every nook and cranny of. Oftentimes when my parents returned home and after hugs and kisses were exchanged I would wheedle and beg for them to take me with them on their next trip. "We'll see, dear" was always the response I got. Soon enough I learned that "we'll see" was another way grown-ups sugarcoated, "Not until you're older."

So going with Mother and Father on their business trips was out of the question. And I could trace every step I took around the mansion by myself, but there were no other girls or boys to do it with. I wanted a sibling or at least a friend who would play with me.

One night, Mother casually dropped the subject that I was going to have a baby sister soon. Father had leaned over, muttering, "Are you so sure we should tell Remi so soon, Victoria?" but his doubtful attitude soon let up when I had showed my enthusiasm. Finally, I was going to have a little sister! I was finally going to have someone to play with!

For weeks after the announcement, I persisted in repeating the same question over and over: "When will I get a sister? When will I get a sister?" Suddenly, playing with my porcelain dolls didn't seem so dreary anymore since I knew that I would soon have someone I could play these games with.

---

warning for content up ahead: there is more violence than usual with this story, so proceed with wariness if you wish to keep reading. this serves as a backstory for the scarlet sisters, and should be considered non-canon. it is based upon theOVJM's theory on the two and some original ideas of my own, also taking the time to explain the significance of the characters such as sakuya, meiling, and patchouli.

also this is one of the very few times I'm attempting to write in 1st-person perspective, which is my least favorite :/ but considering remilia's a person centered on herself, it's probably fitting to tell it in this perspective.

now enough of my rambling. please sit warmly and wait for the longer chapters to come.